Don't Let Go - Part Forty Three

I looked at the flowers another time, scrutinising them critically as I straightened one of the petals on a rose. The smell of chicken wafted through the kitchen door and I followed it to its source, turning down the temperature on the stove. I pulled the elastic out of my hair and ruffled it so it fell in gentle waves around my shoulders, before taking the two plates out of the cupboard and setting them on the counter. All I needed now was for Finn to arrive soon, and that should happen any minute. I bounced excitedly on my heels, not able to sit still for excitement as I tried to smooth any imaginary creases from the fabric of my dress. It was a Friday night and Finn had had to stay at school because of meetings; he’d been working long days since he’d volunteered to help organise the Christmas Dance, working with Brogan and I on the student council. In just one week, I would be attending the last Christmas Ball of my high school career, and I was hoping I could do it with Finn by my side, although we were all a little dubious. It had been about a month since that first night with him, and it’d been getting progressively harder to drag ourselves out of bed every morning. How I’d ever gotten by without waking up by his side was beyond me?

I heard the click of the front door and gave my appearance another once over as I heard sounds of him walking down the hallway. I quickly dimmed the lights, so the main source of light came from the glowing candles I’d set on most of the surfaces around the room. The door to the lounge cracked open and in walked the man I loved.

“Wow!” He whispered, looking around and taking in the sight of the room, before his sights finally settled on me. I wasn’t particularly confident about my looks, but his jaw dropped open with an almost inaudible gasp, which I took to be a good sign. I was wearing a navy dress with a wide halterneck strap that cinched at the waist, and fell to about my knees with a straight, if mildly flared, skirt. There was a silver band of silk tied under my bust and the neckline was detailed with simple silvery thread patterns. It was a very modest dress, but fitted really nicely and I loved it. I paired it with a thin silver chain, with a star on it.

“Did you do all this?” He choked in a husky voice, walking over to rest his hands on my waist as he continued to appraise my appearance.

“Well, I had a little help from the fairies…” I smirked, leaning forwards to kiss his softly.

“Thankyou, it’s…wow!” He shook his head slightly, making me laugh.

“You’re wow” I turned, stepping backwards out of his grip and walking over to the table. “Come sit, I’ve cooked dinner and everything” He followed obediently, looking around him in awe.

“I like coming home to you” He smirked and I rolled my eyes, going to grab the plates from the kitchen and bringing them back to the table.

“There you are Casanova, eat up” I pushed a plate in front of him and made my way to the seat opposite him.

“I’m not sure I can eat if you’re sitting in front of me; you look so beautiful Riley” He smiled sweetly and my heart melted as a blush rose to my cheeks. How was this guy mine?

“So anyway, you got a date for the Christmas Ball next week?” I asked, smirking. I knew he was chaperoning, and the school were allowing faculty to bring plus ones provided they were checked legitimately.

“Well, I’ve had my eye on this girl for a while, but I’m not sure people would approve” He smirked, looking me directly in the eyes. My face warmed slightly as I leaned forwards to rest my elbow on the table, looking right back at him. “I wish I could bring her though; she’s beautiful and sexy and funny and blushes so easy, it’s adorable” He reached out to brush his thumb over my red cheek. “And I’m crazy in love with her”

“Hmm, maybe she’s crazy in love with you too” I murmured, losing all senses of anything outside our little bubble as I found myself drowning in the blue of his eyes. I could feel my breathing hitch every time I tried to exhale, and felt a blush rise in my cheeks, but could do nothing to stop it. All that mattered right now was Finn, his eyes so blue and honest, his lips growing closer to mine as his hands reached to touch my face, so gentle, as though he didn’t believe I was there. His face was just millimetres from my own and I inhaled sharply; breathing in his heady, intoxicating scent. He tilted his head slightly, seeming hesitant, and it didn’t register in my mind to close the gap. His thumb brushed my cheek softly as his lips touched my own in the sweetest, most beautiful kiss of my entire life.

BANG!

I sprung back from Finn in surprise, my back hitting the glass window pane behind me as the sound of the front door crashing open reached us. There were heavy footsteps coming up the hallway and I looked at Finn terrified, ducking down so I couldn’t be seen from the doorway. Finn looked at me apologetically before turning to whoever stood in the doorway.

“Matt?” I breathed, letting out a relieved chuckle, which fell flat when I saw the expression on his face. He breathed heavily and his eyes were wide with fright and glazed with tears. I ran towards him, kicking off my shoes as I stumbled. “Matt, what’s happened? What’s wrong?” I asked him urgently, grabbing his hands in mine in a desperate attempt to soothe him.

“Brogan… She’s… We can’t find her. We looked and found…” He pulled his hand out of my grip as his words sunk in, I felt my knees shake slightly and felt like I was going to fall over as he held out a torn piece of paper with writing on it in black ink. I took it with trembling fingers as I felt Finn’s arms wrap around my waist to steady me. He was speaking in a soft voice to Matt; trying to comfort him obviously, but I couldn’t tune into the words he was speaking. All that existed were the few words on the piece of paper in front of me that was now fluttering to the floor; but were forever ingrained in my memory.

Riley, Riley, Riley.

I’m a little disappointed. You should’ve guessed that I wouldn’t just leave you alone. Lost something special? Don’t worry, I’ll look after your pretty little friend; she’s really quite sexy, you know? You want her back, you come find me

Much Love

Daddykins!

PS - 07789376281

“Oh my…” I gasped, pressing trembling fingers to my lips as I looked up at Matt. He was crying quietly and I stepped towards him on shaky legs, pushing Finn’s arms off of me as I wrapped mine around Matt’s waist. “Does Logan know?” I whispered, leaning hard on Matt as my head spun sickeningly. My dad had kidnapped my best friend. Matt nodded slowly,

“He’s out in the car. We need to go now” Finn gasped from behind us, and I knew he’d read the note himself.

“I’m coming with you” He told us in a surprisingly confident voice. I nodded desperately.

“Whatever, Let’s just go. Please” I cried, wiping under my eyes as I followed Matt back down the hallway and out to the car where Logan was waiting not-so-patiently. “I’m so sorry guys, this is my fault” I whispered as we all bundled into his car and drove off. I pulled my phone out from my bra and dialled the number that was written on the piece of paper. It rung once, and then there was a sniffle and an all too familiar female voice…