Don't Let Go (A Student/Teacher Relationship) Part Twenty

A/N - Sorry it took me so long to upload, I've had a really bad week and have been stressed out with exams and schoolwork. I'll try and make sure Chapter 21 is up on Saturday at the very latest! Thankyou guys for being such amazing readers and supporting this story. It means so much and I appreciate your absolute greatness for doing it. Read, comment, vote. I'll let you get on

                      The car ride to the Emergency Room had been quiet and tense. I was still trying to hold back tears as Robin whimpered painfully against my chest where I cradled him and Danny had stroked my hair soothingly. Jeremy had just held my hand tight in both of his and looked out the window. To say I was scared was a major understatement and I think Jamie understood that because I kept catching his eye in the rear-view mirror. When we’d pulled up Danny had taken Robin off of me because my shoulder just wouldn’t stand up to holding his weight any more but I’d kept his hand in one of mine while Jeremy switched his hand to the small of my back and Jamie claimed the other hand. Robin and I had left Jamie and Jeremy in the waiting room as Robin and I went off to get him seen to. I’d dragged Danny along with us because it was true, Robin was like a little brother to him and he was in almost as much pain as I was. However, the doctor sent us both out when he checked over Robin because the rooms in the underfunded ER were cramped and it was apparently ‘procedure’. As soon as we were out the door I fell into Danny’s chest in floods of tears.

“I’ve never been so scared in my life” I sobbed quietly while his arms wrapped around me and he shushed me soothingly.

“It’s okay Riley, he’s absolutely fine”

“But if I’d kept a closer eye on him it wouldn’t have happened. What if it’d been his head? Or something more serious?” I knew I was over thinking it now, with my heart pounding and the tears flowing endlessly down my cheeks. He pulled back from me slightly, cupping my face in his warm, soft hands and brushing the tears from my cheeks with his thumbs.

“There is nothing you could have done Riley. It’s not your fault; you can’t take the blame for this.” I just shook my head at him and sniffled slightly

“It is though-“He cut me off

“No, it’s not. Do you remember when you were seven and I was eight, we were playing on the swings at the park and I told you I could fly. You didn’t believe me and so I jumped off the swing and broke my leg?” I smiled slightly at the fuzzy memory that swam to the forefront of my mind.

“You were such an idiot. You wouldn’t let me go and find your mum because she’d tell you off”

“And you kept crying because I was hurt. Even I didn’t cry” He smirked slightly and I chuckled weakly.

“Eventually some woman came up to us because I was crying so much, and she went to find your mum and dad because I was in such a state.”

“She didn’t even realise I was hurt” We both laughed and he pulled me close to him again.

“Do you think it was my parents’ fault I got hurt because they weren’t watching close enough? Or that they are bad parents for it?” He asked quietly, resting his chin on my forehead as I pressed my cheek to his chest, feeling his steady heartbeat.

“Of course not, they couldn’t have done anything” I answered quietly, seeing his point exactly but not really relating it to myself.

“Then how do you manage to blame yourself for Robin’s arm?” He laughed and squeezed me slightly tighter to him.

“Because they weren’t too preoccupied with flirting with some bartender” He let out an exasperated sigh and ran one hand through his sandy hair, keeping the other looped tightly around me.

“You are so damn stubborn Riley” He chuckled

“You love me for it” I grinned cheekily, looking up at his face and he pressed his lips to my forehead, whispering something I didn’t quite catch. “What was that?” He just shook his head and shrugged my question off looking awkwardly uncomfortable. That was strange; normally we just said anything and everything to each other. It was my turn to reach up and press my palm to his cheek now as his gentle gaze claimed my own. “Thankyou Danny, you’re amazing”

“And don’t you forget it” He retorted, returning to his normal cocky self as he tickled my sides slightly.

“As if I could.” I chuckled lightly “Love you Anderson” He smiled down at me looking slightly sad

“Me too Yeager. Now what’s this about you flirting with some bartender then?” I cringed slightly and he tipped his head back with laughter, flinging an arm over my shoulder.

“Nuh-uh. I’m not saying anything manwhore”

                It turns out the Robin’s wrist wasn’t broken, just really badly sprained. The doctor told me to ice it and make sure it was kept bandaged tightly. He suggested some painkillers as well, although told me only to use them when he was in a lot of pain since he was only seven. I thanked the doctor and picked Robin up. He insisted on me giving him a piggyback and Danny couldn’t help but laugh as he clamped his arms and legs tightly round me and I stumbled down the hospital corridors. We reached the waiting room after I’d crashed into multiple walls and doors and all three of us were in absolute hysterics. Jamie was the first to reach us, plucking Robin off my back and hugging him tightly. I felt a surge of love towards the man who treated my baby brother like his own son and left Danny to explain what was wrong when I caught sight of Jeremy leaning against the wall. I headed towards him, smiling slightly as I remembered our conversation earlier.

“Hey” I offered and he gave me a smile in return

“Hey there. You alright?” He asked, opening his arms for a hug and I walked into the happily.

“Yeah, Robin’s arm isn’t broken, it’s just sprained” I explained briefly and he rolled his eyes.

“That’s good, but are you okay?” He looked down at me seriously and I was once again struck by how tall he was.

“Yeah, I’m alright now. It was just a massive scare, you know; Robin’s practically my own kid. Thank you so much for being there and coming with us.”

“It’s not a problem; I just wanted to make sure you’re alright”

“I’m fine” I smiled up at him and a tense silence fell between us. His hand reached up to brush my fringe out of my eyes and he leant in. I surprised myself by rising up onto my tiptoes and meeting his lips halfway. It was a nice kiss; sweet, soft and gentle, and I felt my lips curling up into a small smile. It didn’t matter that there were no crazy sparks or intense electricity, it didn’t matter that I was confused about what I felt for Finn Evans. Jeremy was there, strong and comforting and I melted into his arms as we kissed against that cold waiting room wall, without caring who was watching. Maybe I should have cared who was watching though, because there was a sudden cough from close on our left and I sprang apart from him in surprise…