Don't Let Go (A Student/Teacher Relationship) Part Eighteen

To: Jeremy

From: Riley

Hey Bartender J Remember me? ♥

               My finger hovered over the send button for a few moments. Could I really bring Jeremy into this mess that was my life? I was pretty much a single parent, to three children who were actually my brothers and sisters. I’d lost my best friend over a week long relationship, and despite the fact that we were trying to get over it, I knew deep in my gut that actually that would be easier said than done. It didn’t seem right to involve another person but I’d really gotten on well with Jeremy that night. I’d only kissed Finn when I was drunk, whereas I was going to kiss Jeremy before the alcohol had settled in my system. Plus, Mr Evans had made it pretty damn clear he wanted nothing more to do with me. I pictured Jeremy’s sweet face in my head; his blonde hair, his deep brown eyes and his warm humour. Before I knew it I was pushing the send button and sliding my phone into the back pocket of my skinny jeans as I turned to face the kids. They’d all finished their pancakes and were looking up at me expectantly

“Do you guys want to go down the park today? We could take a picnic and bring a few friends” I suggested, smiling at the excited expressions that dawned on their little faces.

“Can we ask Chace and Mitch?” The boys babbled excitedly and I laughed, ruffling Robin’s hair.

“Sure thing, give them a call and say we’ll be leaving in about an hour so if they can get there for then, it’d be great” I clapped my hands enthusiastically and they scampered out the room, shouting about being the first to the phone. I just headed over to Lindsay, who was still sitting up to the table. “Do you want to go next door and ask Chelle?” I said in a soft voice and her smile widened brightly as she nodded her head. Light curls bounced around her pale face prettily. I held out a hand and she dropped Melvin, the teddy bear, to take it in her small one.

                Five minutes later, Lindsay was balanced on my hip and I was pressing the doorbell to the Anderson’s house next door. The Anderson’s were amazing; Julie and Jamie were like second parents to me, since mine were so often missing and they looked after the kids when I couldn’t handle it. They were the sweetest couple, still completely in love despite both being in their late thirties with three kids. The door swung open to reveal fifteen year old Mikey, who grinned his impish grin up at me.

“Hi Riley!” His voice was bright and bubbly as always and I wrapped an arm awkwardly around him in a side hug.

“Hey there, Mikey.” I pulled away, a genuine smile on my own lips.

“Come on in, everyone’s in the living room” I stepped over into the threshold into their warm house and felt instantly at home. Kicking my shoes off, I set Lindsay on her feet and she ran off to find Michelle, who was the same age as her and her ‘bestest ever friend’ (Her words, not mine) I walked into the living room and Julie was already on her feet, having heard someone at the door and scurried off to put the kettle on while Jamie smiled up at me from his chair.

“Hey Riley, long time no see!” He said, reaching out an arm to embrace me.

“It’s been too long. I’m sorry, I’ve just been trying to avoid Danny” I smirked, and a playfully annoyed voice whined across the room. Danny Anderson. Danny was nineteen and had been my first crush and my first kiss, but we’d decided we were just too awesome as friends. He was about 6’3, with sandy blonde hair and brown eyes that really captured a gaze. We’d been good friends and neighbours for as long as I could remember but I didn’t get to see him as often as I’d like because I was still in high school while he went to college. I hadn’t seen him in about a month and I’d really missed him.