Don't Let Go (A Student/Teacher Relationship) Part Fourteen

Landon simply smiled at me, stretching his arms out wide for a hug and I hesitantly walked into them. I curled my arms around his shoulders as he kissed my forehead, his hands dropping to my waist. I was the worst kind of person; I was dating my best friend and had just kissed my English teacher. Worse than that though, I wasn’t in love with my best friend, but I was falling hard for my English teacher.

“Hey baby girl. How was detention?” He asked, pulling away from me slightly and I jumped, forgetting that he would actually talk to me.

“Oh…well… you know” I almost laughed at my non committal answer and Landon rolled his eyes, but then seemed to notice something and a slightly angry glint came into his eyes.

Whose jacket is that?” He was looking down at me, his expression unreadable and I gasped. I’d forgotten I was wearing Mr Evans’s hoodie. I bit on my lower lip, guilt piercing my stomach like an icy blade but there was no way I regretted the events that led to me getting it.

“It’s Mr Evans’s, I…um… spilt some hot chocolate on my shirt and…um… it went a bit see through. He didn’t think it would be appropriate for me to walk home in my school stuff after that. Look, can I go and get changed and then we’ll sit down and have a chat?” I asked hopefully, the sinking feeling in my stomach telling me I seriously needed to talk things through with my boyfriend. He nodded and released me and I sprinted up the stairs without looking at his expression.

                I pulled my shirt off over my head, throwing it onto my bed as I rooted through my drawers for something else to wear. I pulled out a western style shirt that I tied at the front to reveal a couple of inches of flat stomach. I shrugged and pulled it on, grabbing a pair of light wash skinny jeans from my closet and pulling them on after discarding my skirt. I dumped my shirt in the laundry basket and headed back down the stairs to meet Landon. I couldn’t tell him the truth but I really didn’t want to lie to him; or break his heart.

               “So why are you here anyway Landon?” I asked as we sat on the sofa, my feet were on his lap and his hands rested on my calves but that was all.

“I knew you had detention and that the kids needed picking up, so I went and got them and brought them home.” I felt guilty again, thinking of how much I’d enjoyed my detention while he’d been looking after my brothers and sister. It just made it worse that I was going to have to break things off with him, however much it may be the right thing.

“Thankyou” I choked out, my voice slightly thick “That was really sweet” He shrugged, looking modest as he normally does and I wanted so badly to feel something more than friendship for him.

“Well, did you have something in mind to talk about? You sounded a bit jumpy when you came in?” I took a deep breath; I really had to rip off this band aid. Quick and painless; who was I trying to kid?

“Landon, you know I love you to pieces and all I want is for you to be happy, right?” He nodded, sensing the tone of the conversation. “The thing is, I know we’ve not been going out long, but I can’t do it.”

“What do you mean?” He sounded really confused and my heart swelled at his innocence.