Chapter 9

The walls were stained with mold and the drafts made the whole underground freezing. On the right side of the prison was Lone who was still chained to the floor, and on the left was Japan leaning up against the cold stone wall that had Lone on the other end.

Lone couldn't stand the silence between them; she slightly raised her head to say "Kiku..."?

"You were right... about everything. How could I have been so stupid?", Japan closed his eyes tightly and let the tears run down his swollen cheeks "I should have never made an alliance with them. I should have stayed on that island in solitude. It would have been a lot easier".

"Kiku... listen. All of this was not in vain. I had seen a side to you I have never seen before", Lone said sincerely.

"And what kind of side was that"?

"You were happy".

When Japan heard Lone's sincere words he tilted his head towards the wall, and even though he knew that looking wouldn't allow him to see Lone he looked anyway hoping to hear her better.

Lone's brows furrowed showing a saddening expression as she spoke softly into the wall for Japan to hear, "I had never seen such a smile appear on your face not since the first time I found you. Your small hands petting my nose as you looked up at me with innocent eyes. Before you came the island was no different from my homeland deep in the neither world although that island was not my home, but when you came being banished began to feel a little easier".

"Was I really that special? I mean don't they all look the same"?

"No you're the first one to not burst into tears when you saw my demonic form", Japan could faintly hear Lone's chains rattling on the other side of the wall, "The point that I'm trying to say is that neither of us knew what was going to happen when we made an alliance with these westerners, but even just knowing that change was coming made you happy. Didn't it"?

"...", Japan pressed his lips together holding back his confession.

"We can't change the past anymore Kiku. It's time that we put one foot forward instead of another one back", Lone closed her soft expressional eyes and leaned her forehead against the wall, "And I will gladly take that first step with you, and any further steps you stretch towards the future".

"Lone...?" Japan was finally beginning to understand what Lone was saying, but their moment together was soon interrupted by the clanging of metal echoing down the hall. Lone was cut off from the cells entrance so she couldn't see who was coming from the other side.

The sounds became louder and more frequent the closer it got. The clanking came in tune with the dragging of something hard on the stone floor. Japan froze with his swollen eyes fixated on the entrance. Lone became panicked and tried to shout to Kiku who was on the other side "Kiku!? What is it? What's coming"!?

There were no windows and almost zero light. The unknown figure stepped one foot in front of the other and by the amount of seconds between each step Japan could tell that it was moving rather sluggishly. The darkened figure slowly inched its way towards Japan.

Japan's voice was too soft for Lone to hear on the other side, and when the figure stepped into the dime moonlight Japan mumbled "It's you..."

Japan's quivering eyes were fixated on the figures face, making him too preoccupied to notice the axe in his hand.

To Lone the footsteps had stopped not knowing who it was that made them. She became frantic as see jerked her back and neck to loosen the chains. She tried to stretch her snout, but the chains wouldn't break no matter how much she struggled, all she could do was bark and growl "Kiku! Kiku! Who is it!? What's going on!? Please answer me"!?

The figure raised the dull axe over his shoulder, and with both hands slammed it down upon Japan's immobile body. The axe struck one of the many links to the chain that bound Japan to the cell and became lodged into the stone floor. Japan looked at his bonds and then back up at the figure.

The figure reached out its arm and said calmly "Come on... take my hand".

"Why..."?

The figure smiled and said ironically "Didn't I promise I'd catch you"?

Japan's face shriveled in happiness as he took the figure's hand and pulled each other into a warm embrace. They were both on the verge of tears, but trying to be the strong men they are they held them back strong. He stroked Japan's head as he said "I'm sorry I'm late. I had to make sure Iggy wasn't watching".

"America...", Japan reached both of his hands up to America's face and rubbed his thumbs on ruff, white colored, blood soiled bandages that wrapped around his cranium. They wrapped around his head and down to press old gauze to his right eye. America could tell by Japan's sympathetic gaze, but he held both his hands and pulled them away from his head.

"It's alright... we'll talk about this later, but I have to get you out of here", America, without letting go of Japan's hands, looked around quickly and then pulled him through a narrow tunnel, "Come on".

"Ah!? But what about Lone"?

"I'll go back for her. I promise", America replied not looking back.

America ran up the corridor never letting go of Japan's hand and dashed into a room. It was similar to the room Japan was in before he got captured, which made him feel a little suspicious, but knowing it was America holding his hand, he felt at ease. Although it's not like he can feel at ease with anyone else right now except for Lone.

For a few silent moments America stood there letting go of Japan's hand and stared at the center of the room where a chair stood. Japan looked at the chair and then back at America. Eventually, without looking at Japan, America said apathetically "Sit down".

Japan hesitated for a moment, but then eventually sat down. America stood near the door way with an expressionless face. His silence almost made Japan go mad as he gripped at his pants. He curled his lip a little at bit at it and was begging in his head; say something. Please... say something... anything.

~To Be Continued...