First Kiss (Ten)

“No,” Sarah said again.

                “Sarah, please?” I begged her.

                “No, mother,” she spat the word.

                “Sarah, dear, it’s just a party. Please?” I asked again.

                “No! Paul is going to be there!” Sarah screamed in distress.

                “Of course Paul will be there, it’s his birthday party,” I sighed, tired of trying to convince her.

                “I can’t go! I don’t want to see him! Please don’t make me?” she had started crying.

                “Why don’t you want to see him? I thought he was your boyfriend?” We had only an hour to get her ready now. Vincent and I had been fighting with her all day over this.

                “He didn’t call me!” she cried harder.

                “When?”

                “After our date on Saturday, he said he would call but he didn’t,” she cried even harder, which I didn’t think was possible.

                “But he invited you to his party!” I accidentally raised my voice.

                “Because I’m a freaking princess!” she screamed as she got up from her bed only to lock herself in the bathroom. I sighed and leaned again the headboard, surveying the room. It was still gray. I know Sarah didn’t like gray.

                “Sarah I’ll be right back,” I called as I got up. I pulled out my new cell phone Vincent had bought me and called Paul.

                “Hello?” he answered.

                “Hell Paul, it’s Queen Lucia.”

                “Oh hello your majesty,” he was a bit surprised.

                “Sarah was wondering why you didn’t call her after your play-date on Saturday?” I asked, hoping to nip this in the bud.

                “Well she gave me her cell phone number, but it didn’t work. She had my number and I was hoping she would have called me, but she didn’t,” he seemed glum. He really liked her.

                “Oh I don’t think she realized. I was trying to talk her into attending your party, but she said that she’s hurt that you didn’t call her. Would you mind talking to her for me?” I asked. It wouldn’t look very good if the royal family didn’t attend his birthday party. He may not be royalty, but his family was very influential.

                “Of course! I’ll be right over,” and the line went dead. I hadn’t meant for him to come over here, but I guess this would be a good thing.

                I sighed in relief.

                “So you talked her into it?” Vincent asked, coming behind me to give me a hug.

                “Not exactly. She didn’t want to go because Paul didn’t call her back on Saturday. So I called Paul and asked him about it. She gave him the wrong number, so he’s coming over to explain,” I finished.

                “Paul is coming over here an hour before his party?” Vincent raised an eyebrow.

                “Yes. I think they’re going to get married one day,” I smiled at the thought.

                “One day, but not today or anytime soon, she’s too young to even have a boyfriend.” Vincent was so cute when he was protective.

                “I agree, but he is kind of her boyfriend, so play nice,” I turned around to kiss him just as Paul came running by. He stopped, turned around, and bowed.

                “Your highnesses,” he said and hurried to knock on Sarah’s door, which she opened slowly.

                I thought Vincent was going to have a heart attack when she let him in and closed the door.

                “Calm down,” I kissed him again.

Sarah:

                “Sarah I’m so sorry I didn’t call. The number you gave me was disconnected,” Paul started. I couldn’t help the smile that played on my lips, “do you forgive me?” he asked so cutely.

                “Yes!” I ran to him and hugged him.

                “I wanted to ask you something too,” he looked down at his shoes, “would you be my date to my party?”

                “Really?”

                “Yes. Sarah I’ve never met anyone like you. You’re so pretty and sweet. And you’re so kind. Like what you did for your family with Gregory. That was really nice of you to accept his offer! Your parents are so relaxed now because he’s taking care of everything. I also wanted to know if you’d be my girlfriend?” He was looking at me now, biting his bottom lip as he awaited my answer.

                “Yes!” I hugged him again.

                “I’ve never done this before but,” he stopped talking and pressed his lips to mine. My first kiss! “I’ll see you at my party,” he said, kissed me on the cheek, and left me to get dressed.