Too Many Problems (One)

“Mommy!” Sarah’s voice broke through my dream. I slowly opened my eyes to see her form standing over my head.

                “What is it sweetie?” My voice was hoarse.

                “Today is the day! I’m freaking out!” I laughed quietly.

                “What time is it?”

                “Um…” Sarah trailed off to glance at her phone, “It’s five.”

                “Five?” I asked, clearly astonished.

                “Yes five. He’ll be here in seven hours! I’m going to be late.” Sarah was frantic, but I could understand why. She’d been looking forward to this day for a few weeks now.

                “Sarah, baby,” I began, “I know you’re anxious, but you’ve got plenty of time. Why don’t you go back to sleep for a few hours and I’ll wake you up?”

                “Mom!” She yelled and I felt Vincent wake and move into a sitting position. “I need to get dressed now. I have to look perfect!”

                “What’s going on?” Vincent asked sleepily.

                “Sarah wants to start getting ready now.” I sighed, I was still tired.

                “What time is it?”

                “Five o’clock, it’s freaking five o’clock!” Sarah screamed.

                “Seriously?” He asked in disbelief.

                “Yes seriously. Help me get ready!”

                “Sarah, we all had a long night with that stupid meeting. We just went to bed two hours ago, and you know that Lucia needs more sleep because of the baby.” Vincent was gentle when he spoke.

                “I know but I have to look perfect!” She whined.

                “And you will sweetie, just calm down and go back to sleep. You wouldn’t want to be tired when Paul gets here would you?” I asked.

                “I guess you’re right.” She mumbled glumly as she left the room. Later today Paul (Margret and Alan’s son) was coming over for a play date. It was quite obvious that she had a crush. It was adorable.

                “Is she mad at me?” I asked Vincent as I snuggled into him.

                “No, she’s just nervous.” He laughed.

                “I’m kind of nervous as well.”

                “Why are you nervous, love?” He kissed my hair.

                “I just hope that everything goes smoothly from now on. We’ve had far too many problems this month.” And it was true. Two psychotic vampires had gotten into the castle because they were convinced that we were evil. They were found and destroyed, but they still got in. Since then a new gate was built around the house and new guards were hired. Then just last week some fool tried to blow up the castle using human fireworks. He was also psychotic. That had been the new problem.

                It had been a month since the coronation and more psychotic vampires had tried to destroy the castle. Every time one was seen they were chanting about us being evil. This made us believe that someone was creating vampires only to brainwash them. They had to be new because when a vampire first wakes up for a split second they forget every part of their human life. This gives them the chance to quickly distort any memories they once had. I felt sorrow for them, but once the new memories were created, they had to be destroyed.

                “I’m sure things will soon. We’re still getting the hang of things.” He nuzzled my neck which caused me to giggle.

                “I know. I just wish there was something more we could do.” We were looking hard for the person doing this, but it always came down to nothing.

                “I do too, Lucia. But honestly, what more can we do?” I thought for a minute.

                “Where does Easton live?” I asked quietly.

                “He moves around a lot to prevent the royals’ discovery of him. Why?”

                “I’m sure he’s behind this.” And I was sure.        

                “Yeah, I am as well. And I don’t mean to sound selfish, but as long as you’re okay, I’m not worried about Easton right now.” He was selfish for that, but I feel the same.

                “I feel bad for the vampires that have been destroyed.” I glanced up at him.

                “I do too, but Lucia, they were already gone. There was no hope for them. They weren’t people anymore. Think of them as zombies, it’s irreversible.” I knew this already, but it didn’t make it any easier.

                “I know. I love you.” I was rewarded with a light kiss on my lips.

                “I love you too, my queen.” He fake bowed his head to me. I giggled.

                “I wish things could be like this all of the time.”

                “Like what?” He asked curiously.

                “Care-free and fun. I wish we could just lie around and do nothing all day every day.” And it was true.

                “I know, love. And I promise we’ll have more time for things like this in a few months. The vampire kingdom has gone many years without being properly ruled, which is my fault. But after we get things back in order I promise we’ll have more time for this.” He kissed my temple and rubbed my back slowly.

                “I can’t wait.” I smiled.

                “Now get to sleep, Sarah will wake us up in a couple of hours.”

                “Yes master.” I mumbled as I nipped at his neck.

                “Thirsty?” He asked. I was, but if I drank from him I wouldn’t be able to go back to sleep.

                “When we wake up.” He laughed knowingly.

                “Okay goodnight, angel.”

                “Goodnight.” He kissed my lips and pulled me closer to his body.