The Assistant (Five)

She was crying again and I couldn’t take it anymore. I screamed as loud as I could. Vincent came running in the room.

                “What is it?” He asked hurriedly.

                “She won’t stop crying! Where is Gren?” I was on the verge of tears myself.

                “He’s with Sarah. They’re shopping. Nena?” Vincent asked, but she didn’t answer.

                “Answer him. Now.” I told her.

                “Y-yes?” She whispered.

                “Did you think of all of the things we could have done to you?” He smiled sweetly.

                “Yes.” She whispered again.

                “Then stop fucking crying. All we did it cut you a bit.” Vincent then walked over to me and grabbed my hand. “Why don’t we go out to eat? Somewhere really nice and quiet?”

                “That sounds…” I was cut off by his phone alarm.

                “Fuck.” He said.

                “What is it?” I asked.

                “I have to finish these three papers before midnight. I’m sorry, Lucia. We’ll have to go some other time.”

                “Nonsense!” A tall man with brown hair and eyes said as he walked into the living room where we had been standing.

                “Who are you?” I asked.

                “I’m your new assistant. I take care of everything that you don’t have time for or just don’t wish to do. You two newlyweds go out and have fun. I’ll finish the papers.” His smile was probably the whitest I’d ever seen before.

                “I didn’t hire you.” Vincent said.

                “I know, but I was told you needed some help. I’m here to make your lives easier. For now it will be a trial, and then if I haven’t fucked anything up in the next few weeks I stay. How does that sound?” To me it sounded wonderful. I smiled up at Vincent.

                “What do you think?” He asked me, probably already knowing the answer.

                “What’s your name?” I asked him.

                “Gregory.” His smile was still bright.

                “You’re hired.” I looked to Vincent; he looked weary, “What is it?”

                “Nothing, I just don’t want to mess things up. You had better do a good job or it’ll be your head.” Vincent told him.

                “Off with his head!” I shouted giggling the whole time.

                “You like Alice in Wonderland?” Vincent asked.

                “Of course! The book was amazing.”

                “What about the movie?”

                “I hated it.” I told him honestly. I mean, Johnny Depp was hot, but no, just no.

                “Ha, I did too.”

                “So off you go, goodbye, have fun! Oh and don’t worry about this slave, I’ll tend to it.” He pushed us out the door.

                “Well he’s certainly something.” Vincent told me when we were down the steps, almost to the car.

                “He’s a miracle, that’s what he is.” I told him honestly.

                “I have a bad feeling about this.”

                “You worry too much.” I kissed him on the lips.

                “You don’t worry enough.” And just like that my mind was somewhere else.

                There was nothing. The world was gone. I was gone. Then suddenly something grabbed me, pulling me downward. I felt like I was being ripped apart. And for a split second I knew this is what dying felt like. Then it stopped and all was quiet. Trees appeared, along with grass, a sky, clouds, and rocks. It was beautiful, but I didn’t want to stay. Something was begging me to stay, just for a few more minutes. I wanted to for a second, but then I remembered that there was somewhere I needed to be. Someone I needed to be with. As if on cue I was put back into the car, my hand in Vincent’s.

                “Are you okay? Your eyes kind of went blank for a second.”

                “I’m fine.” I smiled.

                “What aren’t you telling me?” He asked.

                “Nothing, I was just thinking about the baby, that’s all.”

                “What about the baby?”

                “I was wondering who it would resemble more.” I smiled. My last thought on the experience was what a beautiful place that was, and how I wish I could take Vincent there. And while I did remember that last though, I could no longer remember the place.

                “Hopefully its mother.” He laughed.

                “Not funny.” I pouted.

                “I know. So do you think we should trust this Gregory character?”

                “Perhaps we should watch him for a while, but I do think we should give him a chance. I mean I can’t help you very much, and I need to see you more. We live in the same house and I feel like we don’t see each other for weeks.” I frowned remembering all of the nights I’d spent waiting for him to come to bed.

                “I know, love. I’m very sorry for that. I am going to be there for you more. You are my number one priority, you and our baby.”