Remember (Six)

“Today is the day we all shall remember,” Vincent paused in his speech to look over at the picture hanging on the wall behind him. “For it is the day that we have lost a great man. Our people will overcome this vicious attack. We will look to the skies for guidance and burn the ones that do not belong. Remember our enemy and keep his interests close, because that is how we shall tempt him, just as he has tempted us. We, however, will not be swayed. Remember,” he finished his speech and the crowd roared. I had listened to him practice this for hours the night before.

                A man named Arthur was murdered three days ago by one of the others. He was a childhood friend of Vincent’s. They apparently had a very long history but had lost touch a few years ago. Arthur was coming here to congratulate Vincent on his throne, marriage, and child. He obviously did not make it. Vincent showed me a few memories they created together. One of them was when they were very young (a bit older than Sarah). Arthur and Vincent were running around outside, their parents watching them closely. It was very bright and they were so carefree. I felt a ping of jealously, something I wished I did not feel. I should be happy for him, but I knew in my hard I was not. I missed my real family, something I did not remember.

                As Vincent took his place by my left side I looked to the picture once more. The entire photo began to move. It no longer held Arthur’s face, but instead it was jumbled. I blinked and when I looked again it held strange symbols and words that I could not understand. I tried to focus my eyes but it just kept moving. Then just as suddenly as it had disappeared the picture restored itself.  “Are you okay?” Vincent whispered. I nodded before looking into his beautiful white eyes. He didn’t look convinced, so I smiled. He returned it before standing up with my hand in his. The funeral was over.

*************

                “Are you tired, love?” Vincent asked me as I plopped down on the bed.

                “Very.” I smiled tiredly.

                “Are you too tired to have a bath with me? I thought it might be soothing after the week we’ve had.” And even though I was extremely tired it sounded like an excellent idea.

                “No, it sounds nice.” I smiled at him.

                “Okay, I’ll get you when it’s ready.”

                After he left I closed my eyes and must have drifted into a light sleep. I saw things that I remembered: the shadow in the mirror, the words in the mirror, dying and being in the place that was beautiful, and finally the picture.

                “Lucia, love, wake up.” Vincent’s voice broke through my flashbacks.

                “Oh haha, I didn’t know I had fallen asleep.” I stretched.

                “Do you want to go back to sleep instead?” He asked, though I could see the disappointment in his eyes.

                “Of course not. Carry me!” He laughed and grabbed me up quickly.

                When we got into the bathroom he sat me down and removed my clothing, followed by his own. I smiled at him as he stepped into the bath and helped me in. He sat down against the back of the bathtub and I sat between his legs, my head against his chest. We sat like this for a long time. His hands massaged my thighs gently. He knew I was tired and was not doing it sensually.

                “Vincent?” I asked, getting nervous. I was going to tell him about everything I had been seeing, since I now remembered them all.

                “Yes, love?” He asked.

                “I want to talk to you about something, but I don’t want you to get upset.” I chewed on my lip.

                “You cheated on me didn’t you?” His voice wasn’t angry.

                “No…” I tried to say.

                “I understand though, completely. I have been gone a lot; of course you wanted to be with someone. I’m so sorry, Lucia. I’ll be around more, I swear.”

                “No, Vincent. I didn’t cheat on you, though I would love to have you around more.” I told him. I felt his chest contract as he let out a breath.

                “Then what is it?”

                “I’ve been seeing things.” I spoke carefully and his breathing stopped.

                “Tell me everything. Do not leave anything out.” His voice was serious.

                “Well I while ago when you went to get me blood or breakfast or something I noticed the bathroom door was opened a little bit. I looked through the crack and saw a shadow in the mirror. That’s why I was scared when you came back. I decided that it was nothing until I went into the bathroom to drink the blood. I realized that the shadow was in the mirror, not in the room. So I looked at the mirror more closely and it changed. There were words scratched into it, but I didn’t understand. I would have told you then but I forgot right after.”

                “Anything else?”

                “Yes. When we were going out one day we were about to get into the car. I had this feeling of dying, like I was being ripped apart and dragged to hell. Then I was in a beautiful place. It was perfect and magical. Part of me wanted to stay there, but I knew I couldn’t. There was something here that was waiting on me. It was you.” I turned around to smile at him.

                “Is that all?” His voice was still controlled.

                “There’s one more thing. Earlier today at the funeral, right before it was over, I was looking at Arthur’s picture behind his coffin. It started to move, to change. It held symbols and words that were constantly moving. I couldn’t understand it. Then just as quickly as it had happen, it was fixed.”

                “Lucia, I wish you would have told me sooner.” He seemed upset.

                “I would have, but I didn’t remember until I fell asleep. It was a dream that reminded me.”

                “And you’re sure it’s real?”

                “Yes! I remember doing all of these things now.” I told him.     

                “It doesn’t matter any way.” He laughed.

                “What do you mean?” I was shocked.

                “After tomorrow nothing can hurt us anymore.” He smiled.