Chapter Thirty Three

QUOTE OF THE CHAPTER:

"Without pain, without sacrifice we would have nothing. Like the first monkey shot into space."
Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Dedication: sarena_a (Sarena is the nano queen.)

***

CHAPTER THIRTY THREE

Next day at school, I try my best not to speak to Calvin.

All I want to do is to tell him that it's a misunderstanding and Richard's cruel plan to split us. I want to ask him if he will really let Richard win this game. If he will give up on us. But I know he did - that day when he called me slut, he did.

Each time I see him at the corridor, with Stella or alone, I feel so terrible. I must have been there with him, asked him how he feels and maybe stolen a kiss or two. I must have smelled his - my favourite - scent ever and hugged him whenever I wished. But here I am, thinking of the consequences of my faults that will never be forgiven either by me or him.

Happiness never meant to be with me, anyway.

I don't listen to lectures and leave the class after some minutes since whenever the teacher talks, it starts to suffocate me. After second block, I completely give up and find myself on a bench in schoolyard. I remain silent for a while, trying to ease my thoughts and the fire killing me inside.

It's until someone sits beside me without a word. I know who he is although I wish he was someone else - someone named Calvin Gilmore. Looking down, I let out a sigh. "Why did you come?"

"You seem alone," he says smilingly.

"Fuck off, Richard."

In return, he just laughs and his hand lands on mine at the bench. Shooting a glare at him, I immediately take my hand back. It makes him even laugh harder - he's a fucking asshole I can't wait to kill.

"Hope you choke on and die," I hiss, standing up and going to find a place where he can't find me at. I look back to see him sitting there with a true delight on his face. "And don't you dare follow me."

"I'll see you later, Pierce," he says with a wink and a smug grin plasters on his face.

"Fuck you."

My days go with stalking Calvin religiously, avoiding Richard at all costs and trying to hide from him. Stella sometimes glances at me with that pitiful smile and it makes me sick. She's nice and I totally get where she's coming from but she played a role - a huge role in this disaster. Nonetheless I probably would do the same.

That's why I'm so keen to help her.

Stella looks weirdly at me when we end up at a table of a small coffee shop. "You want to hang out with me?" She asks softly but in shock. "After what I've done to you."

I smile and look at her. "It's not your fault, I forgive you Stella."

She examines my face for a while until she breaks into a smile as well. "Thank you, Jack. Hope you sort out with Calvin because I'm so sorry-"

"I don't think it's possible," I cut her off. "But it's okay. I hurt him enough so I should let him go."

"He's broken - he barely talks." She leans and holds my hands. "I'm sorry." Looking at her face, I know she is sincere of her words. Before I can answer, a waitress chime in, asking our orders.

"Hot chocolate," she says smilingly.

"Latte."

When the waitress moves to another table to take orders, her attention lands on me again. "I will introduce you to someone today," I say.