Chapter Six

QUOTE OF THE CHAPTER:

"The closer he was the less confident I was."
Shannon A. Thompson, Take Me Tomorrow

Dedication: @EmSlough (she's an amazing friend and mindblowingly talented writer. Also, a cover-maker, so thanks for the banner on the side, darling.)

***

CHAPTER SIX

When I get home, Mum greets me with a cheeky grin. I wonder why she is at home so early but I don't say anything. Since that day, I speak less and less with her. She doesn't push it - just does her mother duties.

I immediately climb the stairs, run to my room and open my wardrobe. I pick out my Simpsons tee shirt and ripped jeans. Then, I straighten my hair a bit and put a little makeup. I check myself in the mirror and wink at my reflection. I look breathtakingly gorgeous as always - no one can deny it.

Meanwhile, my phone vibrates and Calvin messages that he's almost here.

I go downstairs and Mum checks me, then peeks at the clock. I don't usually go out at six. "Where are you going?" She asks suspiciously.

"A party." I answer, avoiding my gaze and grabbing my coat from the hanger.

"You look nice," she compliments calmly and a silence creeps in as I wear my coat and she keeps standing there.

"Thank you," I reply after a while. I just stand there, waiting for her to speak up but she pauses and I pause and it's as if the world pauses altogether. That is a long second - maybe the longest in the history but I want it to end, because it's unnecessarily long.

"When will you come?" She asks finally.

"I don't know," I mumble. "Before midnight, hopefully."

"Who are you going with?"

I shoot a sharp glance. "Why are you suddenly questioning everything?"

"I - I just try to be a better mother," she mumbles silently, a hint of offence in her voice.

I let a breathy laugh. "I don't need you to be a better mother, just stay as you always are, okay?"

"You push me, Jacqueline," she says a bit louder. "I try to be there for you but you keep pushing me back."

"Jack," I correct her firmly. "Look," I sigh. "I can't talk about how messed up our relationship is right now because my friend is waiting outside but we'll talk later, okay?" I say softly.

She just nodded, a ghost of grin on her lips but she is sad - it is so trivial.

Then, as I pull the door open, I look at her once again and smile back. But it doesn't reach at the corners and sticks at the middle of my lips. Then, as I shut the door, I am welcomed by Calvin in a car, waiting for me. When I get into the car, he smiles at me. "Hi."

Instead of greeting him, of course I'm being a pain in the ass. "Where did you find this car?" I inquire.

"I borrowed it from my dad," he says proudly.

"I didn't know you had a driving license," I say, impressed.

As he starts the car, he lets out a laugh. "I don't." I glance at him in a nanosecond with pure shock and he just grins at me. "Don't worry, I know how to drive but it's just not legal."

"You," I burst out laughing. "are breaking rules. Oh my fuck - this is something I'd never believe if someone told me that you do something illegal."