Chapter Sixteen

QUOTE OF THE CHAPTER:

"The past is never where you think you left it."

― Katherine Anne Porter

Dedication: @Lonelia (for her countless support from the beginning)

***

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

Next day, at lunch, I startle when it is Richard who sits beside me instead of Calvin.

Last night hasn't been awkward. Perhaps Sue soothened the tense air between me and Calvin, and we finally had to mingle and talk more. I know things aren't going to be as it was for a while but at least, he tries to behave the same as before and so do I. He is my best friend. I remember how silly it would sound a few months ago, to call someone my best friend. To consider someone my friend whatsoever but now, I know Calvin is a big part of my life I'm never ready to let go of. He has changed me and I've changed him, too. Of course, I am still Jack - the rude, sarcastic and bad-mouthed - but I carry a bit of Jacqueline as well. Did Calvin really find my lost long sister? I thought she would never come back.

On the other hand, he became more independent and less a puppy. I recall the times we've met and how he was so into Richard's friendship. I made him see the flaws of him and he opened his eyes. I don't know if it's better off - them apart. But what I know is we cannot do anything to erase what's happened.

Richard, right now, drops his tray on the table and against my nervous glance at him, he smirks, tucking a grape into his mouth. "Hey Pierce," he says, chewing and gulping it down.

"Hi," I reply, a questioning and angry tone evident in my tone. "What are you doing here?"

"Eating," he answers after he has taken a bite of his sandwich. He is clearly playing the dumb and by judging the way his lips quirk up, he is quite enjoying it, too.

"Oh," I gasp fakely, "sorry, I didn't see that." I grasp his arm and squeeze it. "I don't want to be around you."

He arches an eyebrow, dropping his sandwich on the tray and averting his gaze on me. "I thought we passed that level - we are friends, aren't we?"

"No," I snap, "we've just hung around twice. Once because of me and once because of you. We are even and I don't want to do anything with you again."

He sighs. "Aren't you tired of being the tough girl?"

I laugh, looking at him in disbelief. "Do you think I'm playing, huh? I am honest."

"Hey guys." We both turn our look at Calvin who looks at us with a smile on his face - I know he is confused but he is good at hiding it. "Erm, is everything okay, Jack?" He sits before me and I quickly nod, avoiding Ric's gaze. He shouldn't have seen us together - we aren't hanging out with Ric. At least Cal doesn't know. "What are you doing here, Ric?"

Ric opens his mouth but I kick his leg under the table, answering for him. "He is eating with me - keeping me company."

"Oh." There is a meaningful look on Calvin's eyes. "I didn't know you are friends."

"We are," Ric replies contently, "for a while, we have been."

"At school though," I chime in, "nothing more." Calvin nods dumbfoundedly, turning his focus on his meal and starting to eat. I spare a glance from Ric - I know I've just sounded so suspicious. Ric smiles at me though. I bet he enjoys how awkward and nervous I become around Calvin.

What Calvin Gilmore does to me is beyond the words.

We eat our not-so-tasty lunch meal in stiff silence. Sometimes, when I lift my gaze, I notice Calvin's eyes flickering on me and I know he is confused and pissed off of the situation we are in. I owe him an explanation but I don't even know what to explain. Or how.