Chapter Fourteen

QUOTE OF THE CHAPTER:

"Do you think the universe fights for souls to be together?

Some things are too strange and strong to be coincidences."

― Emery Allen

Dedication: @svevabennett (for her sweet comments and support)

***

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

Next morning, I wake up with the cheerful voice of Mum. It takes me a while to sober up because I have slept in three and it is probably eight or something. I couldn't sleep because of thinking. I thought of how to sort this out. What to tell him. Calvin I know won't leave this at yesterday. He will seek out for answers - answers I don't quite have.

I think of skipping school today because school means I have to face him. I don't want to. Correctly, I am not ready. I keep replaying last night in my head and I can't figure out how it happened. Was he so desperate to open up? Because I gave no signals that would make him think that I might feel something towards him. I was so rude towards him, I pushed him as he said. I don't even know the true meaning behind his message.

I pause for a while. Why do I even care? Why do I act so vulnerable? If I don't want to see him, I won't. I'll tell him to fuck off. I'll hurt him if necessary. I can shoo him. He has no effect on me. Really? At least he doesn't know that he does.

I groan when I open my eyes and feel the weight on my knees. It is a tray - full of breakfast? I glance at her in disbelief. Did she really prepare me breakfast?

"Good morning," she sings as she opens my window. I feel the fresh air filling the room and my lungs. It makes me feel better - slightly. But I am still clueless why she is being so caring. I insulted her and acted horridly recently and I thought she might hate me. Apparently she is still trying. When she turns at me again, with a huge smile (like how can she find the energy to smile as bright as the sun when I have no energy to even breathe?), I look at her, bemused.

"What is this?"

"Oh, that," she breathes, as if she hasn't brought it herself in the first place, "Breakfast."

I roll my eyes. Are people kidding me nowadays? "I am clearly seeing that. Why?" I ask firmly. On the tray, she made pancakes for me. I remember the last time she has ever done that was when I was seven.

"You seemed down yesterday so I thought this may make you happy." The disappointment can be read all over her face as she leans in to take the tray from me but I don't let her.

"No," I say quickly, "thank you."

She smiles and sits beside me on bed. She watches me as I take a bite from pancake. It is so delicious, just as the old days. I keep eating and she sits, watching me. It feels peaceful right there.

"It is so delicious," I say in-between and she chuckles.

"I am glad." Then, she clears her throat. I don't like the sound of that. It is the sign of something big coming up. Something serious. I am not serious, why don't people understand that by now? "I want to catch up with you, Jacqueline," she mutters slowly. "I want to know you better."

That look on her face, which looks caring and guilty, kills me. Makes me guilty. "I've always been here, Mum," I deadpan. "You never cared before."

She shuts her eyes, sighing. "I don't want to speak about what I haven't done but what I want to do."

"Well, you can't just get to know me better, Mum. I'm like iJack 17.1 and you are stuck at 7.8. You can't update it and you cannot buy a new Jack either."