Chapter Nine Prove it

Jayden's POV

For the rest of the day I did what Liz told me to do, I ignored Hayes. I'm not going to lie, it literally took will power not to talk to that boy. I'm just glad that school is over and I can go blow off steam at practice. I grab my stuff as quick as I can from my locker, because I don't want to be late. I shut my locker, but something stops it. Hayes.
"What do you want Grier?" I say as I try walking past him. I didn't really say it in a snappy tone, just enough for him to get to point I don't want to talk to him.
"Wait, are you mad at me?" Hayes says as he steps in front of me.
"Hayes I have to go to practice." I say trying again to move past him, but again he stops me.
"Jayden, I can't have the girl that makes my life a million times better mad at me." He says as he reveals a big toothy smile, his eyes are sparkling- No! Jayden! Will power!
"Hayes I have to go to practice." I say again hoping this time he'll let me leave.
"Fine, but we're talking about this afterwards. I can't have you mad a me, Jay." With that he kissed my forehead and let me go to practice. Dang, it is really hard to stay mad at this boy.
"Bye Grier." I say and then I walk to the field.

I get to the locker room and quickly throw on a tournament t-shirt, softball pants, long socks and cleats and go to the dugout. When I get to the dugout Coach Jim tells everyone to quite down, then he says, "Congratulations girl, that puts us 1-0 so far. Before that game started I told you to keep your attitudes up and to play hard. All of you kept your attitudes up which I'm very thankful for, but one person specifically did an outstanding job. Jayden, you did an out of this world job in center, but the thing you told me when I said you played an outstanding game is what really made me smile. Would you please repeat what you said?" Now all the girls are looking at me.
"Um..okay. I said I was just doing my job. As an outfielder your job is to catch every ball hit in the air, no exceptions. Then, you get the ball back in as fast as possible. That's what I did; nothing more, nothing less." Now all the girls are giving a confused face.
"But, Jay...you made diving catches and one time you got all three outs." Karli said.
"That's my job, to catch balls hit in the air." I said with a smile.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Anyway Coach Jim loved my answer so much that I got to run practice for that day. It was pretty great. We basically scrimmaged ourselves. I put our best infield an outfield together and then had the other girls hit, then I would switch things around so other people could hit. It was a pretty great practice if I say so myself. Too bad it's over now. I start walking out of the locker room with Liz as we carry our duffle bags, coach said we could just leave of softball bags in the locker rooms.
"Uh Jay, look to your right." Liz says as she puts her head down. I do as I'm told and to my right is none other than Hayes himself. I'm shocked, he waited two hours for practice to be over to talk to me? I guess he realized I was shocked because when he came closer he said, "Why do you look surprised, I told you we were gonna talk about this after you went to practice." He said with a smile.
"Yes, yes you did." I say as I look over at Liz.
"Okay Grier, you have 6 minutes." Liz says as she walks over to the bleachers to wait for me.
"Jay, come on. I need to know why you're so mad at me. I can't have my lucky charm all mad." Hayes says as he puts his fingers on my chin and turns my face to look at him.
"Okay, Hayes. I'll tell you. You know how awful it feels to fall for someone and have them completely change the way you think, and then have them kiss someone else right in front of you? Because I do, and it feels like shit." I say as I drop my duffle bag on the ground and cross my arms.
"Jay-Jayden, I-I'm so sorry, but I'm not going to say that Jordan kissed me and I didn't kiss back, because I did," there goes another bullet to the heart, "I do want to say that I'm so sorry, I should have never done that. Especially when I have the best thing that has ever happened to me standing right here." My heart melted, but I can't let him off that easy.
"Okay Grier, you say you're sorry, you mean that?" I say.
"Absolutely, one-hundred percent. Jayden you have to believe me." Hayes says.
"Okay Grier, prove it." I say with a smirk. Then, I walk away leaving Hayes there by himself.
______________________________
Okay let's see if he'll prove it. Don't forget to vote and comment what you think.
-Ashlynn♡