Chapter One Running into you

Jayden's POV

I walk into the huge school building, the bell just rung for dismissal and I start school officially tomorrow, but I made the school's softball team and we had practice today so I had to come after school today for that. I start walking down the hall with my head down looking at the map of the school the principal gave me. I was trying to find the sport complexes. I continue walking and then I'm hit with a large force. I hit the ground and my slightly opened duffle bag spills out everywhere. I start picking everything up and I see that a boy is also picking things up off the ground and pushing them into a duffle bag. I guess he saw me looking at him because he quickly said, "I'm so sorry for running into you! I was running late for football, so I got in a hurry and wasn't watching where I was going. Are you okay?"
"I'm fine, just spilled a few things. I see you did the same." I say referring to the things he was picking up. He lets out a laugh and then pushes a red t-shirt over towards me and I pick it up and place it in my duffle bag as I stand up.
"I know this is dumb, but do you know where the sport complexes are?" I say looking at him as he stands up with a grin on his face.
"Yeah, here follow me. What do you play?" He says as he nudges my shoulder.
"I play softball. I made the team a week ago and I have my first practice today...I'm new." I say as I nudge him back and bite my lip.
"Ah softball, very cool. I'm Hayes by the way." He says as he bites his lip and then smirks.
"Jayden, thank you again for walking me over here, Hayes." I say as I turn to walk to the girl's locker room.
"My pleasure, I'll see you around Jayden." Hayes says as he starts walking to the boy's locker room. I get into the locker room and start pulling my practice clothes out of my bag and I pull out what I think is my 'Davidson Day Softball' t-shirt, but quickly find out that it's a 'Davidson Day Football' t-shirt with 'GRIER' in big letters on the back along with the number 7. What the crap? Oh, it must be Hayes' shirt. Great. Now what am I suppose to wear, I don't have another shirt. I decide that I should just wear his shirt, because I can't wear my fancy shirt I had on and I don't have anything else. I slip on his shirt and it smells really good, like Axe. I slip on my softball pants and my long socks and lastly my cleats and I walk up to the field. I smile at the girls, I met them at tryouts and they were all really sweet. Lizzy comes over to me and wiggles her eyebrows.
"What?" I say referring to her eyebrows.
"I know who's shirt that is," she says as she smirks "and it's not yours." She says as she nudges me.
"Oh, yeah. Long story." I say as I look down at the shirt.
"You can tell me all about it after practice." She says as coach walks out and explains what we're going to do today. We're going light today since it's the first day; throwing, infield and outfield work, some light hitting and then conditioning at the end of practice. A lot of the girls groan at the sound of conditioning, but honestly I don't think it's that bad. I've always liked to run, since I'm pretty fast and I'm super competitive, so I'm that person that runs 3 feet in front of the group and keeps running faster even though no one is even close to catching up to me. Some call it showing off, I call it pushing yourself.
••••• ••••• ••••• ••••• ••••• ••••• ••••• •••••
An hour goes by and practice is over and I feel awful, I always do after practice. I push myself so hard that I feel like vomiting after practice just about every time we run. Liz was giving me a run of my money on the bases, her turns were a lot better than mine, causing her to always catch up to me even though I'm quite a bit fast than her. I grab my stuff and my duffle bag. Coach handed out our team bags and our uniforms tonight right before we left for the locker rooms, so now I'm rolling my catcher bag out of the locker room as I hold my duffle bag and wait for Liz.
She finally arrives rolling her catcher bag as well.
"Okay spill." She says looking over to me with a smile. I roll my eyes at her and we both laugh and start walking home. My house is around the corner from the school and Liz lives across the street from me, so we just walk to and from school.
"Seriously, spill." She says as we approach my house. I punch in the garage code and we drop our bags in the back corner and walk inside. We go straight to my new room and plop down on my bed.
"Fine, I'll tell you. Basically I was walking and Hayes ran into me and both of our duffle bags spilled out everywhere and I guess in the process of picking everything up I grabbed his shirt. Then, we walked to the sport complex. It's not a big deal, I'll wash it and return it tomorrow." I say shrugging it off.
"Jayden, Hayes Grier is the most popular boy at school. He's football team caption and the most adored boy in the entire 8th grade," she says as she unlocks her phone.
"Your point?" I say raising my eyebrow.
"My point is, that the football field is on the opposite side of the school from the sport complexes and Hayes would never risk being late for a practice, yet he walked you all the way to the sport complexes after he was about to be late." She says raising her eyebrow.
"Hmm," I say as I walk out of my room to see if we can order pizza. I come back and Liz says, "Would your parents mind if I stay here for the night?" Liz says as she looks at me with glossy eyes. I sit down on my bed, "You're welcome here anytime, Liz." I say putting my hand on her shoulder. Liz's parents fight a lot at home and at tryouts we became super close, so if Liz doesn't want to hear the fighting she just stays at my house. The pizza arrives and we pig out. What we're athletes, what did you expect? After about two pieces of pizza each Liz and I both drift off to sleep.
••••• ••••• ••••• ••••• ••••• ••••• ••••• •••••
Okay, so this is the first chapter! I hope you guys like it! Don't forget to vote and comment what you think!
-Ashlynn♡