Chapter 11

“God put us here, on this carnival ride. We close our eyes never knowing where it'll take us next.” 

― Carrie Underwood

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Ellie’s P.O.V

I looked at outfit in front of me. It was a cute outfit. I especially loved the sequined shorts and skull top. They were contrasting. The sequined shorts showed that I was girly. And the top showed that I was dangerous and more to the boyish side. Annabelle had a good taste! Suddenly, I felt someone staring at me. I turned to see Drake.

“Yes?” I asked.

“Let’s go.” He dragged me out of the room and downstairs. He opened the door and escorted me towards the car.

“What a gentleman!” I thought to myself, in a posh accent.I mentally facepalmed. I’m going mad! Having conversation with myself in my own head. What’s even worse is that I think it with an accent. I should probably call mom’s psychiatrist for an appointment!

Finally we reached the rink. That’s weird, there’s usually many people here. Oh no! What if its close? What if-

“No, it’s not close. Maybe people aren’t here yet.” Drake said.

“Did I say that out loud?” I asked. What the Selena Gomez? I really need the psychiatrist now!

“Erm yes.” He chuckled. What? Why is he chuckling? This is no chuckling matter? Hello? Someone is becoming mad and you love? What the cupcakes? One does not simply laugh when someone is going crazy. One does not simply.

“You coming?” I blinked. I realised Drake was at the entrance and I was still at the car.

I pulled out my phone ready to call my mom and ask for her psychiatrist's number. “Nah...I shall ask later. Time to skate and show-off my skills.” I thought.

“Hey! Why did you leave me here?” I pretended to be offended while catching up to him. He poked my cheek and said “Sowwy! I thought you were following!” He said in a baby voice while pulling off the best puppy dog face I’ve ever seen. I groaned. Those faces always got me. I waved my hand dismissively. He grinned, pulling me inside the rink.

As we stepped into the arena, I couldn’t see anything. It was totally black. I couldn’t even see my hands in front of my face. I’m not even exaggerating! Maybe it is really closed. But Drake said-

Suddenly, one single spotlight came on. It landed on a table. Table filled boxes. Wrapped boxes. Presents! That’s what they were. With the spotlight on, I could now see Drake who was right next to me. He was grinning at me. Was this his idea? He motioned for me to look at the rink. I glanced at it and -poof!

Those artificial stage smoked filled the rink and I could see six silhouettes. What? As they slowly walked towards the spotlight, I gasped. “What? They? One Direction? Annabelle? Presents? Rink?” I stuttered. I faced Drake.

“Happy Birthday El!” Drake whispered while hugging me. Tears filled my eyes. All of them, they were just too sweet. They did this for me?

“Why? I’m nothing special.” I thought to myself. Aaargh. Again with the talking to myself.

“Thanks Drake.” I mumbled. Tears were now freely rolling down my cheeks. No. Not tears filled with sadness. This time, these tears were filled with joy. They- One Direction, Annabelle and Drake - really made this day so much more special for me. If it weren’t for them, I would have spent it at home, with my family, merely eating a homemade chocolate cake.I hugged Drake again and nestled my face in his chest.I didn’t want the others to know I was crying.. Stop it tears. Stop it. Oh gosh! Now I was talking to tears.