Chapter 21

Maxine

I go down to the coffee machine wearing a simple dress that arrived at the door a few minutes ago. I rubbed my forehead as I waited drowsily for the coffee. With only 5 hours of sleep I didn't know how I was going to get through the day, especially not after what happened between me and Adrian last night.

Why did I kiss him and why did he kiss me back? I'm so stupid. I should've just let him believe that I was like my father. I had no reason to prove myself.

I grabbed my coffee and took a sip feeling the heat move down my throat and turned around to go back to the hotel room. Louis stepped out of the elevator and slowly approached the coffee machine where I was currently standing. I kept my gaze on him glaring until he stood right in front of me.

"Why so angry this morning?" he smiled.

I took a step forward. "You lied. You told me Adrian drove with your car while he was in his room the entire night." I spoke with anger and grabbed the front of his shirt.

He gave me a look of confusion. "You mean that night in the workout room?" he smirked with an innocent look.

I rolled my eyes and released his shirt, looking towards the elevators. "I didn't see Adrian this morning." I said, keeping my voice neutral.

"Why? Did something happen between the two of you?" he raised an eyebrow. I blinked a few times and took a step back. Did Adrian tell him about the kiss?

I looked past Louis' shoulder and saw Adrian stepping out of the elevators. "Is that what he told you?" I asked, tilting my head as I looked back at Louis.

He chuckled. "He never talks about his love life. That's why I'm asking you." he winked and I frowned hearing the word "love".

Adrian's footsteps caught Louis' attention and he turned around. Adrian reached into his pocket giving Louis a phone with a screen that's been cracked all the way down. His eyes never once meeting mine as if he was avoiding me.

"I'll buy you a new one."

"I don't want a new one. I want it fixed. I can't lose all the stuff on here." Louis sighed. "Why did I even give you my phone?"

Adrian ran his fingers through his hair and pulled out a card. "Then go get it fixed."

Sipping my coffee I watched as Louis took his card and walk away. Taking a step forward I walked around Adrain to go back to the hotel room but Adrian's hands wrapped around my arm. "Have you eaten breakfast?" his eyes finally met mine.

"I'm having coffee." I replied, my gaze hardening.

"That's not breakfast. Come with me." he released my arm and walked towards the cafe area. I closed my eyes, took a deep breath and followed him.

He led me to a table near the wall away from all the other customers. I took a seat and continued drinking my coffee looking away in the distance.

A young girl wearing a white and black waitress outfit approached us giving us the menu with a smile. I grabbed the menu and looked through the options. The prizes were very high which was normal since the cafe was in the hotel itself. I glanced up, locking eyes with Adrian who was now staring at me. Well it's a good thing I wasn't paying.

I put the menu down. "What? Do you have something to say?"

He leaned back in the chair folding his arms. Only now did I realize how I could never look at him the same. Something changed. Almost like I was seeing him from a different perspective.

"You look different in white. It suits you."

I rolled my eyes. What's that supposed to mean? The girl from before came back and I gave her my order which was: a smoothie bowl, a chocolate donut and another cup of coffee. Adrian took the normal classic breakfast and asked for coffee without sugar. She wrote it down in her notebook and walked away.

"No sugar? That sounds disgusting." I said out loud.

He didn't reply at first. "The coffee or me?" he asked, leaning forward.

"Both." I replied, looking him up and down.

"You didn't think I was disgusting last night. In fact I think you enjoyed me." he smirked. My eyes widened and I opened my mouth before closing it. He remembered.

I leaned forward, my arms resting in front of me. "The only thing I enjoyed was the delicious taste of Gin that lingered on your lips. I couldn't get enough of it, maybe you should take me to the bar so I could drink some too." I said confidently.

His eyes widened and he started to chuckle. "You don't have to lie. I was sober enough to realize what was happening."

"Oh? But I'm the one who pulled away. Which means the only person who actually enjoyed it was you Adrian." I smirked but it faded when my phone vibrated against my leg. I picked up my phone and read the message that came through.

It was from an unknown number.

"Something happened to your mother. Meet me at Haven park in an hour."

My eyes widened in shock and I could feel my heartbeat racing as I stared at the phone in my lap. The click of a bowl and plates caught my attention and I saw the waitress putting down our breakfast. I locked my phone and pretended nothing happened.

I didn't make any eye contact with Adrian, scared he'd notice something was off. I took a deep breath and grabbed the spoon and started eating. Did something really happen to my mother? Is she hurt? This doesn't make sense why would someone who I don't even have saved on my phone message. If it's urgent, why not call?

"You two look so cute together." the girl that I didn't realize was still standing here spoke. I swallowed and looked towards Adrain.

"We're siblings." I smiled and the girl's eyes widened in embarrassment. "Oh I'm sorry I thought-" she bowed and hurried away. I let out a chuckle shaking my head and saw Adrian looking at me with an irritated expression.

"Why would you say that?" He looked at me disgusted. I shrugged and let out another chuckle as we continued breakfast in silence.

I tapped my foot nervously on the floor as I peeked down at my phone every few seconds. My mother's name appeared on the screen as I call her. Her phone has been ringing for 5 minutes and she still hasn't answered. This was unusual and I'm getting worried.

Adrian paid with a second card that came out of nowhere. I'm not even surprised since I've seen his wallet and all the cards he owns. I took the last sip of coffee and stood up, fixing my dress. Adrian took a step forward staring down at me with a smirk.

He leaned into my ear, his breath giving me goosebumps. "Tell me. Would siblings do this?" he asked and smashed his lips onto mine. I gasped almost falling backwards when his hands wrapped around my waist stopping the fall.

The feeling of his lips against mine was addictive. Realizing the girl from before was staring at us in shock I pushed him away using all of my strength.

Catching my breath I lifted my hand to slap him across the face but he grabbed my wrist and laughed.

"Did I miss a chapter?" a voice said and both of us slowly turned our heads to the source. Louis stood there with a raised eyebrow. I pulled my wrist from Adrian's grasp and looked away in embarrassment.