Chapter 15

Maxine

I was in the backseat with Adrian's coat wrapped around me, drinking hot chocolate that we got at a gas station. I rubbed my hands against the plastic cup trying to warm them and slowly started to feel better. Adrian was in the front seat sitting next to Louis who was driving us back to the mansion. Throughout the ride I didn't even dare glance in Adrian's direction.

Things were awkward between us and if I had to make eye contact with him. I will be reminded by the fact that only a few minutes ago I was on his lap with his hands tugged underneath my shirt with our heavy breathing fogging the windows. I could only imagine what was going through Louis's head when he found us.

We arrived at the mansion and we walked through the front door Vanessa stood there waiting for us with a worried expression. She almost sprinted towards Adrian. "What happened? Are you okay?" she asked but Adrian just walked past her. She now looked at me her gaze falling to Adrian's coat wrapped around me and glared before she walked off with an attitude.

I sighed and looked at Louis who still stood behind me. He smirked and I already regret looking at him. "What?" I spat and took the stairs, all I wanted to do was climbed in bed.

I twisted Adrian's door knob but it was locked, so with a glare I went back to my own room. I pulled his coat off my shoulders and threw it on the chair. I get into bed and tucked myself under the cozy and warm blankets.

The door opened and Hanna walked in, I pulled the blankets over my head. "Louis told me what happened. I just wanted to check on you." Her voice was soft.

"I'm okay." I pulled down the blankets and stared at her. She nodded and gazed around the room. "I wasn't sure if you wanted to know but I'm going to tell you anyway. Mr. Night's brother and his wife just went home."

"Thank god." I replied.

"Are you glad to be back in your room?" she asked and sat down on the edge of the bed. "More than glad." I forced a smile. I'll never be glad to come back, this was never my room and it never will be. But I do feel better and more comftable here than back in Adrian's room.

"Why have you been so scarce lately? I thought you were supposed to be my personal maid or something." I asked.

"About that. I've been doing extra chores to get more money. The hospital sent me papers telling me that they needed more money. I wanted to tell you but you had your things going on and I didn't want to trouble you." She frowned looking down at her hands that rested in her lap and her ginger hair fell forward covering a part of her face. Now I remember, she mentioned on her first day with me that her mother was in a coma.

"Has there been any changes with your mother? Do you know if she will wake up?" I asked and she inhaled deeply. "The doctor told me that she might wake up but he doesn't know when exactly." She replied, her voice soft as the room went quiet again.

"I'll leave you the rest. If you need anything even if it's small please ask." She stood up, fixing her dress and I gave her a nod. My body wants to stay in bed the whole they but I knew my mind wouldn't be able to calm down. I'm irritated and annoyed at both myself and at Adrian. Why didn't I just choose to freeze to death. What was I thinking when I decided to sit on his lap.

"Hanna do you know where Adrian trains and workout?" I stopped her.

"Yes. In his office hall, there are steps going down in the corner. When you go down you'll see two glass doors. And that where he works out."

"Is it locked?"

"I could ask Louis to open it up for you?"

"Yes. I would appreciate it."

After Hanna left my room I stayed in bed for an hour before I got up and got dressed in clothes that I could train in. I followed Hanna's instructions and opened the glass doors, glad to know Louis opened it up for me. The room didn't have any windows since it was basically under the mansion. The walls were white, had a few plants inside with equipment's and mats lying around.

I pulled off my hair tie from my wrist and slid my hair in a bun. I warmed up, doing a few stretches and looked up seeing both a heater and an air conditioner above the wall. I pulled a chair and turned on the heater.

I found a pair of boxing gloves on the table and started punching the boxing bag. Taking deep breaths, I corrected my stand and lifted my leg giving it a hard kick. I continued punching, kicking the bag to release my frustration until I was worned out and sweating. I heard the glass doors slide open and saw Louis standing there and watched me.

"What made you so mad?" he teased sitting down on the chair. I pulled off the gloves and threw it back on the table. "No one. I wanted to get practice in. Why are you here anyway, shouldn't you be working?" I frowned.

"I thought you'd enjoy some company." He chuckled. "I don't." I rolled my eyes, massaging my knuckles that were a little bit sore from the punching. "Did something happen between Adrian and you back there? He's even ignoring me right now."

"Maybe his thoughts are bothering him"

"Yhea it bothered him so much that he decided to leave with my car."

"He left?" my eyes widened, I wonder where he went. "So that's why you're here annoying me." I glared and moved to the glass doors.

"I have nothing else to do. Besides there must be something entertaining about you since Adrian can't seem to leave you alone." he said and I stopped my hand still on the glass door as I tried to leave.

"I'm not entertaing. I'm the daughter of the man he wants to get revenge on." I looked back at Louis. "And that's the only reason he can't leave me alone because according to him he needs me."

Louis smiled, rubbing his chin. "Right."