Chapter 19

Maxine

All of the sudden multiple gunshots goes off and I turned towards the window to where it was coming from. This wasn't just normal gunshots, there were many coming from all different directions.

I jumped up, throwing the blanket off me and ran towards the window.  Outside at the gates stood cars and men shooting at Adrian's guards who were shooting back guarding the mansion. 

This is an attack.

I heard movements from behind me and Adrian walked over to where I was standing, blinking a few times. “He's angry.”

I stared at him in confusion, my eyes focusing on his bare chest. “He?”

He tilted his head. “Your father…” he spoke, his eyes meeting mine. My father is attacking the Nights? Wait but why now? He knows this is going to start war between the two families. 

Outside my bedroom door were footsteps. I panicked, grabbing a night lamp from the desk to protect myself. If I die tonight it's all Adrian's fault. He should've never taken my gun in the first place. 

The door swung open revealing a very worried Louis, wearing sweatpants and a shirt. “Adrian…” he stopped, glancing at the both of us. I let out a sigh of relief. Well this is awkward. 

“I've got the car ready, we should leave.” he spoke and more gunshots went off outside.

I looked back at Adrain who was still staring at the window, a small smirk appearing on his lips. He was clearly still drunk. 

I grabbed Adrian's arm and forcefully pulled him out of the room. “He's drunk, take him to the car. I'll follow just behind you.” I said and Louis grabbed his arm helping him down the stairs. I looked down at Adrian's pants and saw his gun poking out. I pulled out the gun and followed behind them. 

When we reached down stairs workers were running around everywhere looking frightened. This immediately made me think about Hanna. Oh god I hope she's okay.

We moved past the halls and walked out through the back door, a car parked a few metres away from us. Louis looked behind him, making sure I was still following them. I loaded the gun pointing around us and keeping my gaurd up. 

He unlocked the car, opened the back seat door and pushed Adrian inside. I heard footsteps behind me and turned around. My movements were slow and too late when I felt the person shoot me. A sharp pain went from my stomach and I gasped. Men marched around the mansion making their way towards us. I aimed shooting at each one of them before sliding into the back seat with Adrain. 

Louis sped away and drove through the back gate making me fall over to Adrain’s side. When we were on the road I pulled away and shifted back to my side. “Did you ensure all the maids got out safely?” Adrain asked, his voice a little bit slurred. 

“Yes, I ordered the guards inside the mansion to drive them by using the cars in the garage.” Louis answered. 

I took quiet deep breaths, feeling blood soak through the shirt I was wearing. I don't think they've noticed I've been shot. Which is a good thing, I'd be too vulnerable right now. 

***

Louis drove and booked us into a hotel for tonight until the shooting stopped back at the mansion. He left me alone with Adrain who was laying on the bed. I bit down on my teeth, feeling the pain in my stomach increase with each breath. 

“Drink.” I hand him a bottle of water. Adrian opened his eyes, glaring at me. 

“You need to sober up.” I hand him another bottle of water and tell him to drink all of it. I left Adrain alone and closed the bathroom door. I needed to get this bullet out of me as soon as possible. I lifted my shirt and pulled it over my head. I go through the cabinets, finding sanitizer and a pair of tweezers. 

I sat down on the closed toilet seat wiping the blood off with a wet cloth. I grabbed a towel and put it in my mouth to bite down as I started to dig in with the tweezer. A few minutes later I threw the bullet in the trash can and started to stitch the wound with a needle. 

My body was shaking and I was soaked with sweat. When I was done, my pants were full of blood and some were on the teal floor. I went to wet the cloth again when the bathroom door opened and Adrian stepped in, his eyes falling to my wound. 

“Get out.” I breathed out, my body still shaking from the amount of blood I lost while trying to stitch myself. 

“Why are you bleeding?”

“A man shot me. But as he can see I'm fine, now could you leave” I glared. 

“No.” he walked towards me. His eyes looked red and I glanced down to his knuckles seeing how bruised they were. What he did before coming into my room tonight? 

I stood up trying to get out of the bathroom when he blocked me. I watched his adam apple move up and down as he stared down at me. Feeling exposed, I remember that I wasn't wearing a shirt and was standing in my bra. I panicked covering my arms over my chest. Did he see it? My heartbeat quickened.

He moved closer, making me back away until my back came in contact with the cold wall. “What are you doing?” I asked, but it came out in a whisper.

“How bad does it hurt? You're shaking.” he lifted his hand to touch my arm but I pulled away. 

“Don't touch me.” I said, closing my eyes. 

His fingers grazed over my skin, sending shivers down my body and I glared at him once more. “You're so beautiful.” he said in a way that sounds almost painful. 

I couldn't prevent the heat burning through my cheeks hearing those words escape his lips. “I know.” I replied, showing no emotions. I couldn't let him think he got a reaction out of me. I pushed past him and closed the bathroom door and went to a drawer. I grabbed a white shirt and put it on. 

I wanted to know why my father attacked tonight. Something must've happened and the fact that Adrian's hands were bruised and he came home drunk. Could mean something. Maybe it's related somehow. 

Adrian walked out of the bathroom, rubbing his eyes. I can't believe I'm sharing a room with him again. This time there wasn't a couch for me to sleep on. It was early morning hours and I needed sleep so that my body could get rid of the alcohol that was still in my system.

I slipped into the covers and turned my back on Adrian. I groaned feeling the mattress push up against my wound. I turned to lay on my back and saw Adrain still standing there staring at me.

“What did you do tonight? Back at the police station you left without saying a word. Then suddenly you burst into my room drunk. And just minutes after that my father starts shooting at your guards.”

He sighed. “I got him in trouble with the mayor.”

I sat up. “How?”

“That doesn't matter. I'm going to bring him down even if it means I'll go down with him. He'll pay for what he did to my mother.”

That's the reason for his revenge. Because he killed his mother? 

“Did you go through the missing footage?”I asked.

“It didn't show the person, the camera was too far away. But I know it was him. That night I followed my mother's location and when I arrived at the warehouse your father climbed back into his car with a bloody shirt. And... Then I found her.” his breathing quickened and he closed his eyes.

He was still a child at that time. This is why he hates my family. 

“I'm sorry.”

Adrian appeared next to me and sat down on the bed. 

“But you're just like him. You're his daughter.”

“What? No I'm not.” I added getting angry. 

“Prove it.” he stared at me, his eyes moving down to my lips. “Kiss me.” he leaned forward, the weak smell of alcohol still lingering in his breath.

I leaned back, my hands resting behind me as I stared up at him in shock. Is he fucking with me. But what is this feeling in my stomach? Don't tell me I actually want to kiss him. I looked down at his lips. They looked kissable and soft. A smirk formed on his lips.