The Risen

Y/n POV

My heart pounded in my chest as Volatile stalked towards the five of us.

Without hesitation, I drew my sidearm and fired fifteen shots at Volatile, emptying my magazine. Each shot hit its mark, but they did little to slow his advance.

"Fuck!" I cursed, tossing my sidearm to the side, knowing it wouldn't be very effective against his new armor. I could practically feel Volatile's smirk under his helmet. He could have easily teleported right up to us, but instead, he took his time.

"Moxxie, do you have anything with a bigger caliber in there?" I asked, referring to the bag of weapons he carried with him.

"Yeah. What do you want?" He quickly responded.

"Seven six two by thirty-nine," I hastily answered.

With a nod, he reached into the bag and pulled out a rifle with my requested caliber.

After snatching it from his hands, I quickly flicked the firing mode to full auto, aimed, then released a barrage of bullets toward Volatile.

Moxxie tossed the bag of weapons on the ground for everyone. Blitzø pulled out his rifle and joined me in mag dumping into Volatile, with Moxxie doing the same quickly afterward.

Millie held her battle axe, readying herself for the inevitable melee confrontation.

Loona reached into the bag and pulled out an RPG. After aiming, she fired a rocket at Volatile, hitting him head-on and causing a massive explosion.

"Yeah! Take that, fuckwit!" Blitzø sheered, then began reloading his rifle. "Nice fucking shot, Loony!"

I took the opportunity to insert a fresh magazine into my rifle. After which I raised it once more, aiming at the cloud of smoke created by the explosion and ready to fire if Volatile somehow managed to live through that.

"Yeah, good aim Loona," Moxxie complimented as well. I briefly looked back and gave a nod of approval, seeing that Loona had a proud smile on her face. I quickly looked back at the cloud of smoke, waiting for it to dissipate so I could confirm he was dead.

I heard everyone behind me start to put away their weapons and walk away to return to IMP.

"You can relax now Y/n," Loona said, following Blitzø and the others.

I didn't budge. I needed to see his body. I needed confirmation that he was dead. I knew Volatile and had seen what he could do. If I turned my back, it'd be the last thing I did.

"Seriously Y/n, he's dead. No one can survive a hit like that," Loona repeated, further away from me now.

Still, I didn't budge, and as the smoke dissipated I saw that there was no body in the charred crater left by the rocket.

"There's no body. He's not dead" I argued.

"Of course, there's no fuckin body. He got his with a rocket, whatever was left of him was incarcerated by the heat of the explosions, idiot," She argued back, walking back over to me.

She walked back over to me and placed her hand on the barrel of my gun. "Y/n, he's gone. Relax," She repeated, this time with a much more reassuring tone. She knew how much Volatile scared me, she'd seen the terror he caused me firsthand.

Still, I didn't move. I kept my rifle raised, ready to fire at anything that moved.

"Let's go back to IMP and finish our work day, then we can go back to my apartment and get cleaned up. I'll get us some food on the way home and we can watch Voxflix together. Okay?" She pressed, trying her hardest to get me to relax.