67

Kaya’s POV.

As the woman steps in, her heels break the wooden door even more. It keeps leaving a crunchy sound, and each time, my heart skips a beat.

There’s a devilish smile on her face as her eyes set on me. She has no weapon on her, but her claws are very sharp, giving me a hint that she must be a she-wolf from the five neighboring packs who hate the triplets.

Her eyes are a shade of hazel, bright and glowing, with a freckle of crimson red. She must have the powers of an alpha for her eyes to glow such a shade of light. Her jet black hair is packed into a ponytail and braided to rest in front of her left shoulder. She’s staring at me through her lashes, leaving a frightened feeling with each step she takes forward.

Her sandy skin looks thick, as though she’s gone through hell of training to be able to get to where she is. She looks fierce, and her stance is firm.

“Hello, Kaya.” Her accent is one I can’t place.

My eyes widen at the realization of who she is. I remember that voice. She’s the Luna amongst the Alphas, or maybe an Alpha herself, but just called Luna since she’s a female.

“What are you doing here? The triplets aren’t here.” I talk back at her with a firm voice of mine, my eyes fixated on her.

I keep telling myself that she can’t do me any harm.

“Oh, I’m not here for them. I’m here for you.” She snaps her head towards the hallway, which we can now see well since the door is broken and crushed to the ground. “Fuck, we must hurry.” She rushes over to grab my hands, but through reflexes, I snatch my hands away right before she could grab them, spreading out my fingers so that my palm is facing her stomach. I conjure a ball of air from the emptiness that pulls her away, but only a bit.

Surprised by my actions, the both of us look down at her stomach. “Did you do that?” I can almost say that I am surprised that she sounded amused rather than amazed or furious.

My survival instinct kicks in again, and I jab my hands forward again with the same action. This time around, there’s a heavy ball of air erupting from nowhere that hovers her off her feet and slams her back against the wall. The effect leaves the wall cracked and when she stands up, she is disassembled for a minute.

Instead of running away, the idiot me remains in the room, shocked and excited at the power radiating inside me. I can feel it so much inside me, coursing through my veins, and when I utilized my powers earlier, I felt the rush. I felt just how it ran through my veins to every pore, letting out the effect that I wanted, and also how my eyes glowed a dim emerald green light with freckles of gold that almost made the green obscure to notice.

“You’ve gained your powers.” Olivia sounds excited instead, which makes me frown. I treat myself to a fighting stance, ready to use my survival instinct again, but she holds out her hands as her claws recede to become nails. “Trust me, I’m not here to fight you at all. We have common goals, and we need you. I, most of all, need you. We are both women, and we’ve both been treated badly by the triplets. I want you to come with me. Trust me, I’ll show you some things that you don’t know about the triplets. They are monsters that you want to get rid of, and I want the same thing, so...” She outstretches her hand for me to take.

In the hallway, guards appear, running towards the room. My senses heighten at the sight, and my instincts settle in again. Before I know it, I’ve dashed towards the opening and closing of my eyes, breathing in and exhaling. I wrap my hands within the air, feeling it like a fluff of clouds, before I run my arms forward like a punch into the air.

There’s a heavy swooshing that comes from behind me to slam the guards against the wall opposite, at the other end of the hallway.

“I’ve bought us time. Now, what’s your plan?” I ask as I face Olivia again; this time my voice is stern and mean.

Her lips widen in a thin smile. “It is crazy, but you’d have to bear with me. We, wolves, can be very clumsy.” That’s all she says before she carries me from my feet, positioning me on her back in some sort of piggyback ride.

Involuntarily, my legs hook to her at the side, and when I am about to ask her what she’s about to do, she heads towards the opened sill window, not stopping, not stopping... getting close, and then it rings in my head what she’s about to do.

“Oh, sh*t, no!” But she’s jumped off the floor.

The air is so freezing and running past my skin with such coldness that I thought it would cut my skin. My cheeks are almost numb, and when I try to open my eyes, tears are slightly escaping from the harsh effect of gravity. I see that we are actually going to fall, and that means we’re going to get crushed by the ground. It’s too far.

“What the hell? What the hell? Oh, my heavens, we are going to die.” And we land on the ground.

I’m gasping. Wait, I’m gasping? My lips are gaping, and I’m still alive, but why can’t I see?

Oh, I didn’t open my eyes. Dumb ass me.

“You know, for a witch who now has her powers, and from all you’ve faced in this hell of a place, you still don’t have a strong heart.”

“Tell that to anyone who is a werewolf like you, not someone like me.” My voice is high-pitched, with a touch of annoyance to it. Raising my face, chills spiral down my spine, seeing the distance from which we’ve jumped.

How’s her foot still in place? Damn, she’s strong.

We are running into the woods, passing by a path that Olivia must have created when she was coming here as an escape plan. The leaves rustle suddenly, a ruffling coming from the distance, and she stops. She pulls her hand out, gesturing for me to stop too.

We are silent, and our breathing is slow too, so we can listen. I’m surprised at how predatory I have swiftly become and the courage that courses through my bloodstream. I feel confident. I’ve never felt this way before.

“Kaya,” a voice rings inside my head suddenly, talking so loudly that I think the person is next to me. I wince inaudibly. Olivia notices and narrows her eyes at me.

“Kade?” I look around, but I can’t see him.

“What?”

“I can hear Kade’s voice.” I reply her question.

“Kaya, if you can hear me, get away from Olivia, please. Whatever she wants you for, it isn’t good. Open your eyes; you’d see that she’s using you.” Oh, isn’t he the hypocrite to correct me for my actions, from what I can do or not?

“Such bastards. They must have marked you. I didn’t know those bastards were capable of love too.” Except they showed it in the worst way possible, and they will regret it. “Cut him off. He’s mind-linking with you.”

From the bushes, the triplets’ men roar out. “Oh, boy. I need you, Kaya. Use your powers. Get rid of them.”

But Kade in my head is a confusion. I am still trying to get him out, and my powers are still fluctuating, so I haven’t gotten a good hang of it yet.

“My powers are still unstable. I can’t do this.” I tell Olivia, but she only smirks as she equilibrates her stance into a fighting stance.

“We girls limit our powers so much, don’t we? You can do this, Kaya. Find yourself,” and that’s all she said last before she attacked the soldiers.

I close my eyes, softly breathing, trying my best to reach into myself while I ignore the fact that there’s a war currently ongoing around me. It takes me a while, my hands tightening into a ball and using my fingers to pinch the skin of my palms, so I can feel more of myself and more of my pain. I need the energy. I need the fuel.

When I open my eyes, Olivia is walking back to me. “Done and dusted.” I gasp when I see that she’s killed all the soldiers. We are about to run when the triplets themselves appear.

Kade, Kieran, and Kyle, and quite a number of soldiers that we surely can’t fight off.

“I need you now, Kaya,” pleads Olivia. Kade himself is about to talk, but the powers that erupted inside me send all of them into the distance, blacking out. I watch the triplets comatose from the effect of my powers, and I realize something there.

“This is my time to get back at them. This is my time of vengeance.”