Past Times, New Times

All Rights Reserved.

_____________________

James smirked and shot forward to kiss me back but I scrambled off his lap.  

"Sucker," I muttered as I sauntered into the kitchen for food. It was odd, really. It's like when you meet someone and they invite you to their house. You're obviously shy and try to be polite. But you don't walk around their house like you own the place. You especially don't barge into their kitchen and pick through their fridge like what I'm doing right now.  

I pushed past all the bottles of beer and found some deli meat and bread. Good enough.  

"Do you have any-?"  

"Snapple? Kiwi strawberry?" He stole the words right out of my mouth.  

"You know me too well, James."  

"Yet I feel you know too little about me, Beth" He purred.  

I laughed and continued to make my sandwich while he slid a snapple drink across the counter. His apartment was nice. But I knew it was temporary. The plush forest green couch and chairs complimented the rest of the black furniture and his kitchen was simple with a smooth marble countertop and stainless steel black stove and oven that matched the fridge.  

"Nice place," I commented.  

He nodded in appreciation.  

"So, Beth, what are you?"  

"What do you mean?" I turned back to the fridge to search for pickles.  

"Well, every year that we are reborn, we don't come back as humans. We never do. I'm a wizard this century. You?" 

"That's kind of weird. What was I the last time?" I asked, dodging his question. 

"You were a Fae."  

"What did I look like?" I pressed on and inwardly let out a whoop of triumph at finding a jar of pickles. I screwed the top off and immediately started to pile them on.  

"As you can guess, you were extraordinarily beautiful, young and lithe. Other than our horrific death, it was a nice time."

"The 70's, right?"

"Goddamn it!" He shouted. 

I jumped at his sudden change and almost dropped my now finished sandwich.  

"What?" I demanded.  

"Tell me what you are." He said with narrowed eyes. 

"Well, I'm a person. More specifically a female and if you don't believe me, I'll happily show you all the evidence you need." That was a way too bold for me.

He scowled, "Beth, tell me."

I took a huge bite of my delicious sandwich and pointed to my mouth full of food to indicate that I couldn't speak.  

He sighed and ran a hand through his ruffled hair.  

When I was done chewing, I took another bite.  

This time he growled and glared at me.  

I shrugged as if to say 'when a girl's hungry, she's hungry'. 

Just as I was about to take another bite, he launched forward and ripped the sandwich out of my hands and held it to his mouth.  

"Tell me what you are or say goodbye to the sandwich." He threatened.  

I gaped at him. He wouldn't dare.  

He put it closer to the opening of his mouth as if he read my mind.