Chapterish 64

THE END OF ALMOST

"We liked Josh, sure, but you'll find someone else even better," my mom rambles on. "You've always been so independent. Always."

"Mhmm." I stare at her from the passenger seat.

"He always seemed too formal all the time, you know? Calculating everything."

"Uh-huh," I nod. "Calculating, sure."

I smile to myself the whole time, mainly because I know she's lying. She loved Josh. My dad too. It's their parental duty to play it down now. She trash-talks Josh for another five minutes before the car finally slows to a stop.

"Have fun. Don't be out too late, hun. We are having breakfast in the morning, remember?" She asks.

"Right mom. Not too late. Thank for the ride!" I peck her cheek before sliding out of her car.

Whit is the first person I see in the backyard. I'm still out front, admiring the Brooks' house in all its glory, but I can see her long brown hair from a distance. Alex comes into view, snaking his arm around her waist and pulling her in for a kiss.

It's my favorite time of day. Dusk. Twilight. Dreamstate. Whatever you want to call it.

As I move down the boarded walkway, the torches brightening the path, it hits me that I'm about to be one half of the only non-couple at this party. I'm tempted to turn and run, but then I see three girls I don't know. Must be other bridesmaids.

I turn the corner and see Trix and Lauren on the stairs. I see Mrs. Brooks pouring glasses of iced tea. And about 20 other people I've never met before. Relief floods, surging through my veins along with the preemptive Excedrin I took. Predicting an emotional massacre, apparently.

Lauren pulls me into a hug.

"You look stupid gorgeous," I tell her once she releases me.

"Right?" Trix says. "This dress is to die for."

"Stop, stop. This is nothing," Lauren says, dismissing her floor-length, clingy, draped-cowl-back gown. "Wait 'til you see THE dress."

"Almost the big day!" I say excitedly.

"The last almost!! End of almost," she laughs. "Ah, there's my aunt. I must go!"

I watch her dance away in a V Trix manner.

"Was she-?"

"Absolutely buzzed? Stoned maybe?" Meg says, walking up to me and Trix.

"Definitely," Trix says, laughing.

"Ugh, so glad you came," Meg says, nudging me.

"We did have our doubts," Trix jokes.

And I know why.

"Let's not go there, please. Not here." I narrow my eyes at them in warning.

"Come, let's grab drinks," Meg says.

I follow them through the crowd, saying hi to Whit and Alex when I see them. And hugging Brody and even Mrs. Brooks when she spots me from across the flagstone patio and practically runs to me.

No Brooks.

Then again, no Nate or Travis either yet. They must be altogether somewhere. Likely getting drunk or high. It would certainly explain Lauren's current physiological state.

I'm glad I decided to dress up for tonight. My off-the-shoulder cardigan dress and boots is the perfect vibe. It's giving major Sweet Home Alabama.