Chapterish 11

...

An hour later we have food and fresh juices delivered for lunch. Zoë is already making herself at home in the kitchen trying to find ingredients for a smoothie. Trix has queued up several movies and Whit is video-chatting Alex as he walks her through an en suite.

It's barely 1 PM but the sky is dark and heavy with rain. It makes for good movie lighting at least.

Josh has been texting me nonstop since I arrived back on US soil. I love this little pit stop at home, but I do miss him. I miss his cologne and his valiant but failed attempts at making Lo Mein in my kitchen. Two weeks is a long time, even for a Bali yoga retreat.

I'm ready to assume my life again.

"Hi babes," Trix says, coming up to me in the kitchen.

Everyone else is still several ear-shots away and engrossed by Mark Ruffalo.

"Hey." I lay my head on Trix's shoulder as I brush Zoë's granola and sunflower butter concoction off the granite.

"Thought Lauren was coming?" Trix asks.

"She texted and said she'd meet up tonight. Something about finishing her registry."

"Ah, yes. Are you going to it?" Trix asks, saying it like it's some scary clown that will bring about my ultimate doom.

"If by it you mean the weekend in New York, then yes. I plan to. Why wouldn't I?" I don't quite meet her eyes when I ask this.

"No reason you wouldn't..." Trix trails slowly. "I think it's perfect, actually."

"Oh?" I spin my head to look at her brightly smiling face.

"I haven't seen you this legit in years. Feel like it's time to you know, face the demons." She nods.

"Okay," I almost laugh. "One, legit? What does that even mean? And two, zero demons. Demons are dead to me."

It's Trix's turn to laugh. "Legit like happy. And the intact kind of happy."

"So not the high-low-roller-coaster kind." I suggest for her.

"Precisely." She nods.

I appreciate that she doesn't stress the point. I've known her for 25 years. I get her point loud and clear.

"Are you bringing Josh?" She asks. "Would love to meet him in the flesh."

"Yes," I nod. "Video chat doesn't do him justice."

It is true that Josh shines in person. Not that he isn't hot in photos or doesn't have a sexy phone voice, but it's not the same. I'm low key excited to bring him to Lauren and Brody's pre-wedding weekend in New York. Almost excited to introduce him to all my friends, guys and girls. Almost.

Lauren gave me tons of notice on this, telling me about it back in February. It's a whole boujee ass weekend at The Plaza, because why not? I don't quite understand this friend groups' obsession with pre-wedding getaways, but alas. I'm never the one getting married.

It will be good though –better than seeing Brooks for the first time as we line up in the back of a church at a wedding. I do wonder if he'll bring Cece, and I wonder if he wonders if I'll bring Josh. I wonder if he even knows about Josh.

I wonder if the clouds will collide and clap thunder when we see each other again. As I dump the dregs of blueberry smoothie from the blender, I remind myself it doesn't matter.

Clouds are just clouds.

And Brooks is just a boy.

...

"Tomorrow around noon? That's right after Isla's morning nap." Trix reminds me what time to go to Backbay tomorrow.

"Noon. Got it. We'll be there." I hug her again as she steps off my parents' front porch.

She's the last to leave. Meg and Whit left around 7 o'clock, but Trix wanted to wait for Travis to put Isla down to bed. Lauren ended up canceling on us. But I'm sure she'll be at Backbay tomorrow.

I shut the door behind me and enjoy the solitude. Zoë scurried off to the guest bedroom for a shower; her essential oils are seeping down through the ceiling. It smells like the inside of our studio.

The scent of eucalyptus follows me onto the back sunporch. I plop in the rocker chair and open Go Zen's online registration portal. Another 40 registered.

Damn. Zoë needs a raise.

The online subscription service still isn't as lucrative as the studio memberships, but it more than pays for itself. It's free for us to upload videos and recipes and healthy tips-of-the-day, and the more people who sign-up the better for us.

I click on the merch page and upload the banner photo to the artsy pic Zoë took of her bracelet sleeve in the Bali sunset. I scroll down to my favorite product and (rightfully) one of our best sellers: A black and white pin that says Go Zen Yourself.

I'm about to check order history when my screen lights up with Josh's face.

"Hiii Joshi!" I smile at the phone.

"Hey Emmy." Instant warmth spreads through my bones when I see Josh's smile light up his face. I can tell by his button-down that he still hasn't changed from the office.

"Long day?" I ask, leaning my head against the cushion.

"Yes. Cliff won't let off about this merger. Going to be a whole week of long days." Josh shakes his head.

He feigns annoyance, but I know he secretly loves every second of his job. He even loves his hampering boss, Cliff. What a name.

"What about you? Long travel day? Looks like you're already cozied up for bed." Josh eyes my background.

"Just a porch chair," I laugh. "But I am wiped. It is like two days from Seattle time in Bali time but I'm on east coast time."

"Brain hurts, so I'm not going to try. I miss you," he says, smizing at the phone.

"Miss you too. I was even missing your horrible cooking earlier," I joke, spitting out my tongue.

"And I was kinda missing having you for dessert," he winks.

"Ha! Oh my god. I can't wait to see ya. Two days!" I remind him.

"Just in time for Friday. I'm already calling out sick," Josh says. "We're spending the whole day in bed. Doctor's orders."

I laugh at him but end up agreeing, because duh. I let him go 10 minutes later and make my way to my room. I pass the guest room and see that Zoë's already passed out across the bed. I stifle a yawn and am already dreaming of hitting my own bed.

I smile to myself as I think this time in two days, I'll be entangled with Josh. Trix is onto something.

Josh and I are legit.

...

How I imagine Emmy's tablet screen looks: