Chapterish 22

I cut the ribbon, open the doors, and watch as storms of tweens, teens, and college kids fill Edge's lobby. I can barely see the floor there are so many people. Hard to believe this many people need athleisure wear.

Javier is already restocking the hoodie display in the front window and Miles is already running around behind the counter like a chicken without a head. Sure.

Lots of people approach me and Cece and we do our best to be polite. Cece engages her fans like they're her casual friends. We pose for some selfies and people tag us all over their Instagram stories.

This draws in even more people over the next few hours.

I do another sweep and can tell by the lack of merch on the floor that we've already surpassed even Miles's predicted sales. And it's hardly 5 PM.

My phone buzzes in my pocket and I slide it out to see texts from Travis and Nate. They wanted to fly out for the opening, but I insisted that I would barely have time to entertain them today and that they should wait until the weekend.

GOOD LUCK BRO

Kill it

And send me a $120 hoodie

I thank Travis for his luck and roll my eyes at Nate's request but tell him to pick one out this weekend. Knowing Nate, he'll go for the kiwi green.

Speaking of fruits...

I mosey upstairs to the juice lounge, side stepping a gaggle of giggling high school seniors. Class of '22 scrawled across their cut-off tanks.

I find Cece and Randa standing at the top of the stairs. Randa is leaning over the railing, snapping pictures with a bird's eye view, and Cece is engaged in deep conversation about her upcoming ad campaign.

The higher I climb, the closer I get to the rectangular patch of crystal blue in the skylight. It is a perfect almost summer day, which easily makes the rooftop patio the best place at Edge right now.

No one notices me when I walk across the flagstones, past the pergola, and lean at the edge of the bar. In fact, one girl gives me the death stare for seemingly cutting in line.

People don't notice me as much when Cece's arm isn't looped through mine. Without her, they can't quite place me. I don't mind this. It's preferred actually.

"Hey, Brooks. Drink?" The bar tender raises his eyebrow.

"Just a water, thanks."

Jax pulls out a water bottle, already slick with condensation, and hands it to me across the bar.

I chug the bottle in three seconds and enjoy the fan blasting on my face. Even under the shade of the nearest palm tree, it's too hot outside. I pull out my phone to more texts from mom, Brody, and even Lauren –all asking for an update on the grand opening.

My phone lights up with Miles's toothy grin. Can't be good if he's calling me.

"Yo man. Where are you? Some journal guy wants to interview the owner," Miles says on the other line. "This place is too big to look for you."

"I'm on the roof. OK I'll head down in a second," I answer.

I hang up and rub my fingers over my eyes again, back into my hair. An interview? Great. I wish I had just told Miles to pretend he's the owner.

The roof is even more crowded than when I came up. I ignore Pez and Banko talking about curating their latest playlists. Randa is now photographing Florence in front of the palm trees, and Cece is nowhere in sight.

Miles greets me at the bottom of the stairs. A woman stands next to him, clutching her bag and phone. She holds her phone up in midair and I realize she's recording Miles's answers. She must be the interviewer.

"Here he is. Man of the hour!" She greets me like so many others –like we are old friends catching up.

"Hello." I flash my winning smile, the one I know all women love. I can tell instantly she is like all the rest.

"Mr. Brooks, it's so great to meet you in the flesh. My name is Cindy Star, reporter for LAs Dig."

I shake her hand, noting her oversized tortoise rims and business attire. She screams reporter type.

"Please, it's just Brooks," I say plainly. "Mr. Brooks was my father."

"Of course." She grins widely, flustered by my declaration of a first-name basis relationship. I can't unsee the coral lipstick smeared on her snaggle tooth.

"What can I do for you, Cindy?" I ask, walking us over to the side, so we aren't right in the middle of shoppers.

"Dig just wants a mini scoop on the grand opening," she answers, like it's not completely her idea to be here.

"Scoop away," I say, throwing my arms wide.

Thirty minutes later, after insisting on getting a whole tour and finding every excuse to touch my arm, I'm not convinced Cindy Star actually works for any blog. Thoroughly convinced she might turn into a stalker. Only when Cece finally found us, did Cindy decide she was ready to leave.

"Come on, babe,' Cece says into my shoulder. "Let's sneak into the steam room in the gym."

"I doubt anyone would notice if I went missing. You on the other hand..."

I kiss her neck, burying myself into her hair. Damn. She smells so good.

"I've had enough fake smiling today." Cece rolls her eyes. "I think Miles can manage."

"Okay, okay. I'm convinced. Take me to the steam room. Have your way with me," I tease.

Cece pulls me by the hand into the corner of the second floor that is the gym, restricted to staff and ambassadors only. It's empty today, as everyone else is on the floor.

"Wait here."

I unbutton my shirt as I enter the unisex bathroom and open the door to the steam room. I power it on return to the gym.

Cece is already naked.