18

I wake up late the next morning. By time I got home and took a shower, got into pjs and brushed my teeth and got into bed it was almost 1am and I was completely exhausted. I think it took me all of five seconds to fall asleep where I slept for a long, long time. Usually, six or seven hours of sleep is sufficient enough for me each night, so I'm surprised to see that its 10am by time I wake up. At first I don't believe it and check my phone twice to make sure I did actually sleep that long.

Looking to the side I see that Jordan isn't beside me anymore, his side of the bed is cold. He was in the bed last night when I got in, fast asleep. I figured he would be sleeping anyways since he left so early into the night, I got back about three hours after he did. Also I figured him being asleep was his way of letting me know that he didn't want to talk about what happened last night.

I drag myself out of bed and force myself to get ready for the day before I dredge downstairs, dreading seeing Jordan after last night. The house is unusually quiet so for a second I think - and hope - that he's gone out, maybe to his parents place to blow off some steam, but when I get into the kitchen I see him standing in front of the stove, a spatula in his hand. He turns around when he hears me enter the kitchen and smiles at me, which I wasn't expecting. Either he forgot about last night or he's just really happy about whatever it is he's cooking.

"You sleep good?" Jordan asks me as I cautiously walk into the kitchen. "You passed out hard."

"Yeah, I slept really good. I was exhausted." I say. I go over to the fridge and grab some orange juice. I just brushed my teeth so I mentally prepare myself for how gross the orange juice is going to taste at first.

"Well I'm glad you're awake. Sit down, your breakfast is ready in one minute." he says as he gestures to the kitchen island where an empty plate and utensils sit for me. 

"What's all this for?" I ask. I wonder if it's a breakup breakfast. I doubt he'd do that, but if that's what this is it's very considerate of him.

"You worked really hard last night, I wanted to make you something for all your efforts." he explains to me. He comes to me and puts two giant chocolate chip pancakes on my plate. They're browned just perfectly like he knows I like. "I also wanted to apologize for last night."

I put on my best fake smile for him. I don't really love rehashing fights from the night before. I'm the type to either want to solve it right away or never bring it up again. "It's fine, really."

"No, it's not. I was a dick and I'm sorry. It was just weird seeing him there, but I should've stayed cool." he says, the word 'him' sounding like a bad word. He keeps looking at me, clearly expecting me to accept his apology, so I do. "I was thinking we could do something next Saturday. I figured we should celebrate the day we met." Jordan says to me as he turns his attention back to the pancakes cooking on the stove. 

I glance at the calendar beside the fridge, squinting to try and see it better. I hadn't even realized that the anniversary of us meeting was so close. I've been so caught up in life lately that the days have seemed to just be flying by. 

"What were you thinking?" I ask, genuinely curious. We typically don't celebrate this day so I'm a little surprised that after all these years he now wants to celebrate it. The most we celebrate is our anniversary which is two months from now, but even then we keep it fairly calm, usually just going out for supper and maybe a movie.

He turns back and looks at me with a mischievous smile. "It's a surprise."

"At least give me a hint." I plead. He knows I hate surprises.

"The only thing I'll tell you is that it'll change your whole world." he says, giving me a grin. The last time he said that to me is when he bought us a Soda Streamer and swore it would be the best drink I've ever had and that my world would change forever. He ended up using way too much of the liquid syrup in my drink. It tasted absolutely horrible and since then I haven't trusted him with the Soda Streamer, so I guess he was right that he changed my world, but not for the better.

"I'm kind of nervous now." I say. "I don't even get to plan anything for it?"

He shakes his head at me as he flips his pancakes over in the pan. "Not a single thing. You do enough for us already."

"So do you." I say. If ever I need something done I can text Jordan and ask him to do it and he will right away. He makes sure we split our household chores evenly, and if one of us is having a longer week at work then the other will take over tasks to make the week go by smoother. Overall we have a pretty good dynamic going between us.

"Okay, so we're both great." Jordan says. "But I want this day to be about you."

"You don't have to d-"

"I want to." he says cutting me off. "Now eat your pancakes before they get cold."

I don't protest anymore, and I begin eating my pancakes, all the while worried about what antics Jordan is up to. Usually, I would've been so excited about Jordan planning something for this, in fact I used to wish that he would plan more things for us in the past. It worries me that I'm not excited as I used to be when it comes to Jordan. It worries me even more thinking that he's noticed it.