Chapter 24: Demonsbane (Part 1)

… Years ago, in the cold mountains of eastern China, an atrocity took place. Unseen and unheard of by the world. 

.

.

It was the dead of night, one week after they had all arrived. This remote location, far from any form of civilization, and too treacherous for any life. It was in this terrible place where their master gave them their final challenge, and they were not to leave until it had concluded.

… This group, which numbered fifteen, followed their masters orders. What they had been training for their entire lives hinged on this final trial.

.

… Legend has it, within this forgotten land… a demon was born…

.

.

Keshino: *heavy breathing* I… I can't believe it. He…

The young man hid. His clothes were worn to tatters and stained with all manner of filth. His mind flashed with memories of the horrors he had been subject to. Filled with dismay, he abandoned his teachings, reverting to the instincts he thought he had done away with. The last one, only because of his cowardice. But this cowardice was the only reason he was still breathing.

“Keshino was not ready to die.”

But… one can only escape their fate for so long. Sooner or later, it always catches up.

*snap*

Keshino: Huh!?

Keshino quickly turned and looked around, his head just barely moving from behind its cover. However, he could not see anything through the darkness. Despite that, he knew that someone drew closer to him, one that knew exactly where he was. He could hide no longer. Keshino abandoned his concealment and stepped into the open.

Keshino: Show yourself!

There was no answer. No sound and no presence. As if his words made all disappear. He did not hear it walk up behind him.

???: It will not happen again, Keshino.

He quickly turned once more and darted back, creating distance, all while facing his opponent. He finally saw it, the one responsible for his hardship, the embodiment of his despair. This being, whose body was disturbingly emaciated and covered with the blood of all those who made the journey with it, was closing in on his prey.

???: As long as I live, it will not happen again.

The being held something in each of its hands. A mangled corpse held by its broken neck in one, and a severed head held by its long hair in the other.

Keshino: Yoru… and Akegata, too? They were the last ones?

The being walked slowly, releasing clouds of steam with every breath. Its delirium was evident, as it repeated itself continuously. Its eyes were blackened, barely open enough to see. Keshino couldn’t make out its whispers.

“It will not happen again. It will not happen again.”

Keshino gazed at his enemy, analyzing the state it was in, concluding that it was weakened. Upon this realization, his confidence returned. His skills and training returned to him, and he prepared himself for his attack. The instant he was fully intent on moving, the being threw the body it was clutching at Keshino, who instinctively caught the corpse of his old friend.

(Keshino’s thoughts): Yor…

Before he realized, the body that was in his arms was struck with enough force to blast it apart and Keshino was sent back. The impact broke him, the pain being great enough to inhibit all other senses. All except one.