Chapter 22

Roman's POV

I can't believe I have to leave Maeve by herself at that damn hospital today. Well not be herself. Her parents flew in the first day they heard about it. Of course, my first interaction with them was over their daughters incapacitated body. They already didn't like me after hearing about the fighting and moving in together. They really aren't going to like me now. In their eyes, I'm probably the worst thing that has ever happened to her.

But you know what? Screw it. I'm not dating her parents. She's all that matters. I'll tolerate their presence for her sake and her sake alone. And if she likes me then that's enough.

Who knows. Maybe it was best I left her with them for a little. I can't blame them for being protective. That is their daughter. I won't be the one footing all the hospital bills. Although, I will do what I can with the rent, which is why I'm back here at Sal's dealing with customers that couldn't care less about what's going on in my life.

"Hey!" a man yelled from one of my tables. "Can you refill my water?"

"I'll be right out with that," I called back, plastering a fake smile on my face.

I couldn't stay with her overnight, so I really am glad that someone can be with her.

I don't know what in the hell she thought she was doing. I've told her a million times she can't fight a man. Yet, she goes and puts her life on the line for me. I'm supposed to protect her, and I did a shit job at that.

Images of her motionless body on the dock keep popping up in my head. I thought she was gone. But she's still here, still fighting. And I'll be damned if I don't do everything in my power to make sure she comes out of this stronger than ever. Even if that means without me.

I just wished she would stop worrying about me. If she did that then she wouldn't have been there to get herself in trouble. I figured Dante would do something he wasn't supposed to, so I made a call ahead of time. Good thing I brought a knife too, or I wouldn't have been able to get out of the chair.

"Quit spacing out Torres!" my boss yelled.

"Yes, sir!" Creep.

I can't wait to get out of the food business. Everyone is either high or trying to fuck each other.

I went back out to check on my tables when I saw someone new in my section.

"They're alone? You don't see that too often." Maybe they're waiting for someone.

I remember when Maeve came once to have me serve her. I wanted to just sit down with her the entire time, but I had to work.

I walked over to greet her, "Hi, welcome to..."

And there she was. As beautiful as the first day I saw her.

My Maeve.

Her hair was pulled up in a ponytail. She looked a bit pale, and her eyes had dark circles under them. Other than that, she looked like her usual self. I'm glad to see her out of the hospital gown even if it's just shorts and a t-shirt.

I'm surprised I didn't see her come in. Knowing her she probably hid from me until I was out of sight and then came in to be seated. Always dramatic that one.

"Hi," she spoke first.

"Hi."

Her lips curved up into a giant smile. I could see her eyes starting to water, but she held them back. There she is, being dramatic, trying so hard to be strong. I love everything about her.

"I woke up a little bit ago and you weren't there." She crossed her arms and pouted. So childish. I know she wants a hug.

"I'm sorry I had to go to work."

She uncrossed her arms and sighed. "I know. I missed you. Can you talk for a minute?"

I looked around to see how many tables I still had. Only a couple. Thank God for showing me some mercy.

"Yeah, I got time." I was about to sit down across from her when she flicked her head towards the spot next to her, so I got up to sit next to her.

"I'm surprised you're working. I kind of hoped you'd be wallowing in self-pity right now," Maeve joked.

"Not my style."

After I got settled in, she squished up right next to me and gave me a big hug. There it is. She did almost die, so the least I can do is give her a hug back.

I turned into her hug and gripped her tightly in my arms. For a few moments, we breathed in each other's scent. For some reason, Maeve's forehead always smells so nice, her pheromones or something.

I pulled back after a while. "How did you get here?" I asked.

She let go too but didn't move away.

"My parents drove me. They wanted to come in too, but I told them to wait in the car. I wanted to see you by myself. I really missed you."

"I missed you too Mama."

She broke out into another wonderful smile.

"You can't imagine how nice it is to hear those words."

"You'll get to hear them a lot now." I gave her a quick kiss on the lips. "I need to go now, but you better be waiting for me when I get home. I've been waiting all week to taste your meals again." It's been so long since I had to cook my own meals, so I've barely eaten all week unless it was takeout.

She nodded, "I'll prepare something amazing. Not tonight though. My parents are taking me out."

"Another night of restaurant scraps it is." I think there is a takeout meal nobody ate.

"You can do it love."

I got up to go back to work when I realized something.

"Were you cleared at the hospital?" She said she woke up not too long ago.

With a devious grin she moved up her index finger to her sultry lips, "Shh."

I'm a bad influence.