Chapter 3

No text. I spent a good 2 hours last night waiting for a reply and pondering various reasons why he couldn't respond. The most accurate being that he was just busy. The least being a car accident. I asked my friends what they thought, both of them answered along the lines of "he can go to hell". I didn't want to consider the fact that he's probably just not that interested. Hopefully, I'll be distracted enough with work, so I can move on to bigger and better things.

I was on my way out of the apartment to leave for work, when a middle-aged woman with grayish-brown hair stopped me on my descent.

"Hi there. Did you just move in?" She asked leaning against the rail in the stairwell. I could immediately tell she was some kind of hippie women in her long colorful skirt, glasses hanging around her neck by a beaded string with peace signs.

"Hello, yes, I just moved to start my first job." I offered a polite smile.

She told me that she was living in the apartment below mine with her 8-year-old son. We talked for a couple of minutes before I had to leave. I don't think I'll be having any neighbor problems luckily.

When I got to work, I found Noah sitting at his desk, engrossed in some paperwork. His eyes flicked up as he heard me approach.

"Morning, Maeve," he greeted me with a warm smile.

"Morning, Noah." I said, taking a seat at my desk.

"How did your first day go?"

"Pretty good actually. Everyone is very nice, and your dad is a good teacher."

Noah leaned back in his chair, looking toward his fathers office. "Glad everything went well. If you need anything, just give me a shout. I'm usually around."

"Thanks, I'll keep that in mind." I settled into my tasks for the day, familiarizing myself with the routine and getting to know the team.

As the workday progressed, I got to know my colleagues better, and they seemed like a friendly bunch. In the late afternoon, one of my new coworkers, Evie, short for Evelyn, approached my desk with an enthusiastic smile.

"Hey, Maeve! How was your first day?" she asked, perching on the edge of my desk.

"It went well, thanks. " I replied, appreciating her welcoming demeanor. 

"We were thinking of grabbing dinner after work to celebrate your first day. You in?"

"That sounds fantastic! I'd love to join you guys," I replied, feeling a sense of camaraderie with my new team.

"Great! There's this amazing Italian place nearby. I heard celebrities sometimes show up. How does that sound to everyone?" The team agreed with nods and smiles.

The rest of the workday flew by, and as the clock struck the end of office hours, we gathered our belongings and headed out for dinner.

Surprisingly, when we got there, we were greeted by two burly men sporting matching gold watches, one with enough pomade to stop a truck. I guess celebrities really do eat here.

The inside exuded an inviting warmth as soon as we stepped through its doors. Soft amber lights bathed the space, casting a cozy glow over the rustic wooden tables adorned with black-checkered cloths. Vines crept all along the ceiling and doors. The walls, made of a beautiful white sandstone, displayed paintings of Italian country sides and cities.

I wonder if all the employee dinners will be like this. I didn't know my dad pays that well.

After being seated our waiter came to take our order. When I looked up my breath hitched. There stood Roman wearing a tight black button up and black pants. The top button of his shirt was open hinting at the sculpted chest underneath. He should be a model not a waiter.