Chapter 16

I had this strange dream last night. I was sitting down in a meadow of wildflowers wearing a yellow sundress. Every time the wind blew through the branches of the nearby weeping willow, I could smell fresh bread mixed with the earthly smell of old barn wood and hay. I held up a book to the sun when a shadow came over me. I couldn't see the figure very well, but I knew it was a man. I saw the outline of his smile as he held out a hand to me. I grasped it tightly, and he pulled me into his arms. I couldn't see his face though, no matter how hard I tried to focus. Shortly after, I awoke to my alarm ringing.

Usually, dreams would come uncoordinated with a mixture of random images, people, and places. This felt like a memory. An unusually serene place within the corners of my mind.

Getting ready for work, all I wanted to do was close my eyes and return to the peace that I found.

I knew I'd have to deal with the colossal mess Noah left me with, but so far, I've been ignoring him. Mr. Reese hasn't said much, but a quick apology. I guess he doesn't even know what to do.

Today, Noah got a little more determined.

"Maeve?" Noah came up to my desk.

"What?" I glanced up from my work.

"Please..." He sounds extra desperate. "I want to make it up to you. I know I don't deserve forgiveness, but I remember you like to write. And I got in contact with a great publisher that can be your mentor."

I would be lying if I said that didn't pique my interest. This might be my opportunity to get into the industry and find out if this is what I want. I want to be strong and capable for Roman, but I don't want it to come from Noah.

"Just think about it," he says before I get the chance to respond.

I gave him a nod then he left. I'm seeing Roman later, so I can ask him if I should take Noah's offer. We didn't have time to talk about what happened at Sal's, so I'll bring it up today.

Roman so graciously agreed to help me pick out a dress. He said he wanted to try and get a peek at "the goods". What I didn't expect was the absolute look of adoration when he saw me trying on a beautiful black evening gown. Followed shortly after by a "that looks ugly on you." His argument for such criticism: "Would you prefer I lied?" No, I should be grateful he doesn't lie.

In fact, he warmed my heart so much I decided to invite him over for dinner. Except, I didn't think about my empty fridge. Half the time I'll eat a hot dog or a piece of cheese for dinner.

"I don't have much. I can make a sandwich."

"Maeve, I'm starving, so if it's not the best damn sandwich in the world, I'm going to be upset." He lies down on the sofa, looking half dead. "I went dress shopping for hours."

"Ok! I'll try my best." I huffed out. I wished I took the saying "the way to a man's heart is through his stomach" more seriously.

He sat down on the couch since I didn't have a kitchen table. "I remember when you first invited me up to your apartment. At first, I thought that meant you wanted to have sex, but it didn't take me long to realize you weren't like that." I blushed a little at "sex".

"You were so excited to show me your new apartment you bought all on your own. You sat cross-legged right across from me on the futon, while I was on the couch."

I smiled at the memory. "It didn't even cross my mind that you might think I was offering... uh...that. I really just wanted to show you my apartment."

"It's good I can pick up on cues. Otherwise, I would have made a move."

"And I would have let you."

"I want to have you when you're sure you want me to." No other man in this day and age would be so considerate.