Chapter 21

Whack!

It hurts.

Whack!

It hurts so much.

I didn't know pain could feel like this. I need it to stop. Anything to make the pain go away. I'll do anything.

Bang!

2 hours earlier.

Today I'm meeting the publisher. Mr. Reese let me out early so I wouldn't miss it.

"What do you need to leave for?" he asked concerned. I only told him this morning, so I'm lucky he's a good boss.

"Just a doctor's appointment. Nothing big."

No way I'm telling him I'm looking for a new job. He seemed so excited to have Noah and I take over. I have no interest in making matters worse.

The publishing office was near my apartment, so I stopped by to print out a few materials. Roman had to hurry out this morning, so his clothes were scattered across the floor. I still had some time, so I picked up a few things.

Looking out at the empty room I wondered if being alone ever felt this lonely.

I picked up his shirt and laid down on the bed. Pressing it close to my nose, I curled up into it, wrapping myself in his scent.

I miss him.

"Maybe I can call him." I grabbed my phone to see if he had already started working.

No answer. It's just me then. Getting to talk to him would have calmed my nerves.

"I guess I'll go second best option." I sat back up on the bed, crossed my legs, and closed my eyes.

Taking a deep breath in and out I spoke words of courage to myself. "You are strong. You can do it. You believe in yourself. Roman believes in you." You have to do this. You have to fly for him.

With the small granule of motivation I found, I opened my eyes, dropped his shirt on the bed and walked to the front door to leave.

As I stepped outside someone grabbed me.

"Hey!" I yelled.

Before I knew what was going on, a cloth was shoved in my face. Everything started feeling fuzzy. It didn't take long for the chemicals to consume me.

Salt. I immediately smelt the salty air as I started to gain consciousness.

Look who we have here.

I could hear talking, but my head was still too heavy to lift.

I think she's waking up.

They're talking about me.

Hey! Can you hear me? Get up.

I felt someone kick my back, knocking the air out of my lungs.

Stop!

Was that Roman?

I slowly opened my eyes. We were outside of a building next to the docks.

I saw Roman tied to a chair with Dante standing behind him...holding a gun. Seeing that was like getting a bucket of freezing water thrown at me. I darted up as fast as I could, still drowsy from the chemicals, but someone grabbed me from behind. One of Dante's men. Then I noticed Amelia standing off to the side, face neutral. Jack, Sam, Georgia, and Rais were on the other side of Roman with more of Dante's groupies surrounding them.

There were a couple of people walking around, but they were ignoring what was happening. Looks like we're all alone here.

"What's going on?" I asked.