Chapter 18

Here goes my first battle of the day.

From: barlowepress.com

Hi Maeve,

I heard about you from Noah, and I'd love to take a look at what you wrote so far. He says you are a great writer. I was thinking of starting up a mentor program, so this is a perfect chance to try it out.

Thank you,

Mary Anne

Noah hasn't bothered me since the whole restaurant debacle, so I'm a bit surprised to see this email. I'm afraid he hyped me up, considering he has never actually read what I wrote. I don't want her to read it thinking it's going to be amazing.

Still, I want to take a play from Roman's playbook and accept Noah's offer.

I sent back my response when Mr. Reese called me into his office.

Here is the second battle.

"Yes sir?" I sat down in the ominous chairs across from him.

"I know we haven't gotten to sit down and really talk about what happened. I don't even know where to start with how disrespectful my son was."

"It's really ok Mr. Reese. We worked it all out."

He brushed his fingers through his hair and paced behind his desk.

"He said he's been fine since the divorce, but this proves he hasn't."

"I don't know if it's my place to say, but I don't think you should be worrying about him so much. He's a grown man." Was that too harsh? This is my boss after all.

"I need to be worried if he's taking over for me. He still has so much to learn." Taking over? But he doesn't want to work here.

"I didn't know he was taking over your role." Will I still be working here if that happens? I can't work for Noah, especially now.

"I haven't told many people, but a while ago I had to go to the hospital for a small heart attack. The doctors said I need to limit the stress, so Noah came in to help out." I'm sure the divorce did not help the situation. I guess you can't help the timing. "Your dad knew too, so I can't help but think he sent you over to help out."

"I'm sorry. He never told me about it."

"It's quite alright. It's what comes with age. That's why I was so glad to see you getting along, workwise. I wanted you to be Noah's secretary."

"What about the lady I replaced. Didn't she have a family emergency?"

"Yes, she had to quit to take care of her elderly mother."

So, I wasn't a stand in. I was the actual new secretary. My dad could have explained that a bit better.

"Obviously, plans have changed," he added.

I don't think Noah had that in mind for me. Why would he help me out with my book if he intended for me to work for him?

"Mr. Reese, if you'll excuse me, I need to talk to Noah."

"Of course. I hope he can help clarify a few things."

"Me too."

I checked to see if he was at his desk, but he wasn't there.

"I'll find him later." As I turned around to leave, I saw him walking into the room.

"Noah!" I walked over to him.

"Maeve?"

"Can we talk?"

"Sure," he looked around for a spot to go. The conference room was open, so we sat in there.

"Why didn't you tell you were taking over for your dad?"

He sighed. Walking over to the window he said, "I didn't want you to think even less of me than you already do."

"What I think doesn't matter. This about what you want." I don't understand why he is being so dramatic about this.

"I want to make money and make sure my dad's life's work is taken care of."

"You're giving up?"

He turned back to me, "I'm doing what's right."

"The company, and your dad, will be just fine without you."

"I have responsibilities. Someday I want to have a family... wife, kids to take care of. I can't do that as a struggling artist."

"Whatever. I'm not your shrink. You know it's the easy, and that's why you are doing it." I keep thinking about Roman and how would never give up his dream. He would die trying.

"I wish you the best of luck." I turned to leave.

"Will you stay as my secretary?"

"I don't know. Maybe. Or maybe I'll meet with the publisher and have my big break." I looked back into his eyes. They were warm and hopeful.

"You're always welcome here," he said.

"Thanks, Noah." It doesn't hurt to have this job as a backup. I'm not dumb enough to go all in right now. In that sense, I'm no better than him.

*

On my way home from work, I went out to get groceries. Ever since we moved in together, I've had to go out twice as much. It's impossible to keep up with his food intake. While I was struggling to grab a green plastic bag for the apples I picked out, I got a phone call from Roman.

"Hello?"

"Hey, are you almost back?"

"I needed to stop and get groceries. Why do you need something?"

"No...just waiting for you."

"Did you not have work?" It's the middle of the week. He should be working.

"No, I took today off." Ok, that's weird.

"I'll check out soon."

"See you later mama."

I pulled into the apartment complex 20 minutes later. Every time I get back, I feel the need to rush upstairs to avoid any confrontations with the neighbor.

When I opened the door, the apartment was dark and Roman wasn't anywhere in sight. Weird. He just called me, so he should be here.

I walked towards the kitchen to put the groceries down and go look for him. I didn't need to look far. On the ground, were a couple dozen candles spelling out "will you be my girlfriend" surrounded by red rose petals. Roman was leaning against the window, the flicker of the candles illuminating his silhouette. I dropped the bags right where I stood and took a second look at the letters.

"Well, Maeve? Will you be my girlfriend?"

Easy. That's the easiest question I've ever had to answer.

I ran over to him and flung myself into his arms. "It's about time." Then I pressed my lips against his. His arms immediately wrapped around me. After a few seconds I pulled away.

"I thought you were rushing me. I see why."

He sighed, looking down at the candles. "I kept having to relight them because you were taking too long."

"I'm sorry." I gripped him harder.

He held me tighter, assuring me everything was alright. "I got my point across."

"That you did."

His brown eyes met mine with so much care that I thought he might just love me back.

"Are you sure? I can be an asshole sometimes."

"And I can be emotional." He gave a big nod to that one. "Nobody's ever said opposites don't attract."

"Good point," he said.

I don't think we're all that opposite actually. We're both striving to be better than we once were.