Chapter 20

"We came into work like usual first thing in the morning and found this kid lying unconscious behind the building

"We came into work like usual first thing in the morning and found this kid lying unconscious behind the building." One of the construction workers briefed Reid. "He had to be at least 18, they said he overdosed on opioids."

We had just gotten off a 13-hour flight. We didn't get time to relax because we headed over to the site as soon as the wheels touched the ground in Las Vegas.

"Has the press got a whiff of this yet?" Reid asked, his shoulders tense. If the news that the property discovered a dead body it could ruin the chances of Evergreen ever taking off.

The construction worker shook his head. "We called the proper authorities and he was transported to the hospital. They determined it was just some random guy who wandered around the area at night high off his mind before he died."

I crossed my arms, taking in the details of this strange case. My eyes flickered to Reid who had an impassive look on his face but his eyes gave away how he was feeling. I tugged on his elbow, pulling him to the side, "You should go home, Reid. There's not much we can do right now until they investigate and you're tired. "

His gaze roamed my face before he blinked and turned back to the worker. "This is going to impact our process for at least another week or two. I'll call you when we can resume the project."

The man nodded, "I understand, I'll let my crew know." He walked off to his blue pickup truck, climbed in, and drove away. The car left a cloud of dust and dirt trailing behind it.

"This has to be done by him," Reid turned to me a dull fire burning in his eyes, his fists clenched by his side, and his shoulders tense.

"Who?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Him. The man who has been torturing you. We left the country to get away from him and he yanked us right back in a matter of days. These aren't coincidences Jade, the drugs found in the crane, and now this. This is his way of torturing me. He's playing a game here and using us as pawns. I am not a fucking pawn," his jaw clenched.

He pulled his cell phone out and dialed a number. He turned to me while it was ringing, "You should come back to my house and get some rest. I don't feel safe with you staying alone at your apartment."

He pressed his hand on the small of my back and led me to the car while he spoke to someone named "Jet," on the phone. When we approached the car he helped me get in and closed the door behind me. I raised a brow as he stayed outside, talking on the phone.

When his call was done, he got in the driver's seat. The drive to Reid's house was silent, but I could hear Reid's thoughts brewing in his mind. When we pulled up to his driveway he parked and handed me his house key.

"What?" I looked down at the key in my hands. "You're not coming inside? Don't you want to get some rest?" I asked him. He didn't get an ounce on the plane.