Chapter 3

"This is exciting," Alyssa popped a chip into her mouth

"This is exciting," Alyssa popped a chip into her mouth. "This is like a summer romance moving into the office." She sat across from me at our favorite Grill & bar, Sunny Days.

"I'm so glad my life is that intriguing to you," I rolled my eyes, picking a fry from my basket.

"So when do you start?" she propped her elbows on the table and leaned her face in resting it on her hands.

"I start this Monday at seven in the morning."

"Yikes, that's awfully early," Alyssa stuck her tongue out in disgust.

"Not all of us are blessed with jobs that start after nine." I giggled. As a Personal trainer/stylist, Alyssa gets to make her own hours. Her first rule is that she doesn't work before 9 am. I was slightly jealous that she got to catch more Zs than me and Erica did.

Erica had it the worst although, she had to be in the studio by 5 am to get prepped for the morning broadcast that starts at 7 am.

"Hey, I'm not the one who wanted a corporate job so deal with it," she laughed, stealing one of my fries.

I scrunched my nose when she dipped it in my mix of ketchup and mayo and threw it in her mouth. "Keep your hands on your own food." Today was my last day at work and Alyssa and I were celebrating the good riddance of my old job. I was officially a part of and belonged to WilliamsCo.

Alyssa groaned, her phone held tightly in her hand. "Ugh, this one client is getting on my nerves. She claims she wants to progress in her training but barely puts in the work. We've been stuck in stage one of my workout plan for two months. Can you believe it? Two!" Her eye twitched and she texted back and forth with her client.

"Which client is this?"

"The one who's sugar daddy pays for everything, including my service. I swear if the money wasn't so good I would have dropped her a month ago. She's so rude and barely accepts any of my feedback."

A server approached our table and refilled our lemonade. I thanked him and raised the straw to my lips. "I hate difficult clients. I once worked with a company that rejected everything my group worked on at the time. They made us go back to the drawing board hundreds of times and my boss wouldn't let us drop it because they were a huge client. I nearly tore my hair out during that long month," I mutter. Good riddance for real.

Alyssa clicked her tongue and tucked her phone in her purse, "I'm sorry Jade, I have to go. My client wants to meet with me right now." She parked her things and stole another fry from my basket.

"Seriously Lyss," I groaned by the time the fry landed in her mouth. She sent me a non-apologetic smile and blew me a kiss before she whirled around, her apple scent left behind her. I shook my head. My phone buzzed in my pocket and an email from my new job popped up on my phone.

Good Afternoon,

As you know, your job as our Civil Engineer starts on Monday. Below are some files attached. Please read them over before you come in and familiarize yourself with them.