Chapter 9

Firing Luke was one of the hardest things I had to do this morning

Firing Luke was one of the hardest things I had to do this morning. I felt horrible, he nodded in understanding a glimmer of disappointment springing in his eyes, when I told him.

Reid was adamant about firing the whole construction crew and finding a new one. I found another company to hire in less than 24 hours and the Evergreen project was good to pick up again in a few days.

I sighed, staring dully at one of my monitors. My application for therapy sessions stared back at me. It has been six minutes since I filled out the online form and yet I have pushed the button to submit. I had never been to therapy before. I always thought I could sort out my own problems by myself. After the stressful weekend I had, and with Reid coming back into my life, it seemed like a healthy outlet that I direly needed.

With a shaky finger, I pressed submit and clicked off the website. I should receive an email later from my assigned therapist. I blew out a breath and went back to work, drafting up a contract for the new construction team.

A knock on my door pulled me out of my work. Halle stepped in a moment later, her honey-blonde hair swept up into a cute mid-bun. "Hey, Darlin, how are you?" she smiled sweetly, her hand resting on the door handle.

"Tired, but good. How are you?" I laid back in my chair and swayed in my seat.

"I'm good. Mr. Williams is asking you to see him in his office. Lucky you," she chuckled, raising her shoulders.

I mentally rolled my eyes, "thanks for letting me know. I'll go now," I stood up from my comfortable seat and followed Halle into the hallway of the 27th floor.  Halle abandoned me and returned to her desk while I knocked on Reid's door.

"Come in," his voice boomed from behind the oak door.

"You beckoned?" I raised a brow and closed the door behind me.

Reid sat behind his large desk, his hair combed effortlessly and suit sharp just like his features. He gestured towards the chair in front of him for me to sit. I circled the chair, sat down, and cleared my throat. A set of nerves blazed over me, my fingers flexing and grabbing onto the fabric of my skirt.

"How's the search for the new construction crew going?" He leaned back in his seat and crossed his arms.

My eyes trailed his movement and widened slightly when his muscles bulged from under his suit. I picked my eyes back up to his face and licked my lips before opening my mouth. "Good," my voice came out slightly breathy. "I've already found another crew who will diligently work on the condo." I tipped my chin upwards.

"And you've conducted background checks," he lifted a brow.

"Yes, they're all clean and good to go. I was drafting the contract when you called me in. Can I go back to my office to finish it? Or did you need something else from me?" I crossed my arms, mirroring him, a fake smile plastered on my face.