LEO FINDS A BUNKER

LEO FINDS A BUNKER

[NAME]

————————

Festus was fast.

So fast in fact, that I lost track of time and all sense of direction. It seemed impossible the woods could be so deep and wild, but the dragon traveled until the trees were like skyscrapers and the canopy of leaves completely blotted out the stars. Even the fire in Leo's hand couldn't have lit the way, but the dragon's glowing red eyes acted like headlights.

Leo didn't seem too worried, but I was starting to think that he didn't clean Festus' control disk properly. How did he even know where to go?

My question was answered when we finally crossed a stream and came to a dead end, a limestone cliff a hundred feet tall—a solid, sheer mass the dragon couldn't possibly climb.

Yeah. He had no idea where to go.

Festus stopped at the base and lifted one leg like a dog pointing.

Or pissing. Can he do that? I shuddered at the thought.

"What is it?" Leo slid to the ground and helped me down. We walked up to the cliff—nothing but solid rock. The dragon kept pointing.

"It's not going to move out of your way," I told him.

The loose wire in the dragon's neck sparked, but otherwise he stayed still. I furrowed my brows, "Are you sure you cleaned his disk properly?" I offered, "Maybe you didn't put the wires back right."

Leo put a hand on the cliff and the other on his hip. He cocked a brow at me and scoffed.

"You're questioning me about tech?"

"Chill, hothead," I snorted. "Just saying—"

I stopped in the middle of my sentence and gaped at the cliff where Leo's hand pressed.

"Just saying, what, princess?"

"Valdez," I said, pointing at where his hand rested, "I think your fingers are on fire."

Leo blinked at me and turned to see what I was talking about. His fingertips weren't on fire but lines of fire spread from them across the limestone. The sizzling lines raced across the cliff until they burned a shape into the cliffside.

It was an outline of a glowing red door five times as tall as me. Leo and I backed away from the cliff, shocked, and the door swung open without so much as a creak.

"Perfectly balanced," Leo muttered. "That's some first-rate engineering."

The dragon unfroze and nudged me towards the door, marched inside, as if he were coming home.