Chapter 3

Danielle POV

Today felt different, in the best way possible. It wasn't that the days before were dull, but there was a sparkle in the air, a sense of something new and exciting.

As the final period rolled in and the teacher allowed the class to work silently on their textbooks, you found yourself already finished with the assignment. Leaning back, you let your thoughts wander to Y/N, the interesting new friend you'd made. Despite his pessimistic attitude and walls that guarded his heart, you were determined to break through his barriers and show him the warmth of friendship.

Recalling your conversation on the rooftop brought a smile to your face. He hadn't exactly agreed to your proposition, but his response hinted at a reluctant acceptance, which was a victory in itself.

Lost in your thoughts, you almost missed Hanni's attempts to get your attention.

"Danielle! Danielle Marsh! Mo Jihye!" she whispered urgently, snapping you back to reality.

"Huh? Oh, sorry! What's up?" you replied, slightly embarrassed.

"I just got a text from Minji about watching the new movie tonight. Haerin and Hyein are in too. Are you down?" Hanni explained, excitement evident in her voice.

"Absolutely! I'm always up for a movie night," You responded heartily, taking care not to upset your classmates who were still working around you.

"Awesome, I'll let her know we're going," Hanni said, already tapping away on her phone.

With the bell signaling the end of the day, you and Hanni swiftly gathered your belongings and headed to meet your friends at the school gates. However, before leaving, you couldn't help but glance toward Y/N's classroom.

You scanned the room, hoping to catch a glimpse of him before leaving, but he was nowhere to be seen.

"I guess he left already," you muttered to yourself, a hint of disappointment in your voice.

"Dani, what are you doing there? Come on, they're already waiting for us!" Hanni called from a distance, snapping you out of your thoughts.

"Sorry!" you apologized as you hurried to join Hanni.

"Come on. Ppalli Ppalli!" She grabbed your arm as you two ran together to the front gate.

You and Hanni finally reached the front gate where you were greeted warmly by your three other friends.

"Oh, there you two are!" Minji chirped, showing us her gummy smile. "I was worried you two might've backed out."

"Yeah, sorry for the wait," you apologized, giving Minji a warm hug. "But we're already here, so you don't have to worry anymore!"

"Always the sweet talker, Dani-unnie," Hyein teased, tickling your sides.

"Mhm, she has such a way with her words," Haerin agreed, chuckling softly.

"Well, what are we waiting for? Let's go watch some movies!" Hanni pumped her fist in the air as all of you followed along.

"Yes, let's go!" You cheered as all of you began to walk to the movie theater.

Spending time with your girl friends was always a blast. Teasing each other, laughing at each other's jokes, being silly, and telling each other stories. It's never boring when you're with them and you wouldn't trade it for any other friend group out there.

With that being said, this was the type of friendship that you wanted to show Y/N and prove him wrong about his perception of friendship.

"That reminds me," Hyein suddenly said, turning her head towards you. "You went inside classroom 2-C earlier this morning, didn't you?"

"Eh? How did you know~?" You asked, genuinely surprised.

"I mean, you're quite popular, unnie. People easily recognize you, so it's natural for the word to get around quickly," Haerin said matter-of-factly.

"I'm not popular," you playfully rolled your eyes at them. "But yes, yes I did go to class 2-C."

"Why though? Do you know someone from that class?" Hanni asked.

"Well... I do, now!" You said proudly.

"So you were there to make friends? Well, that's our ball of sunshine," Minji smiled and gently patted your hair. "So, who are these 'friends' that you've met?"

"Ah, I only made one friend in that class. He's a bit cold, but I made it work," you gleefully shared.

The moment the words left your lips, a stunned silence fell over your friends. Their eyes widened in disbelief, exchanging incredulous glances among themselves.

"Wait, wait, wait, hold up," Hanni interjected, her voice laced with disbelief. "'He'? You made friends with a guy?"

"Yeah! Is that bad?" You tilted your head to the side, concerned that you might've done something wrong.

"What? No, no, it's not bad, you can be friends with a guy," Hanni quickly dismissed. "What I meant was, it's unusual for you to initiate a conversation with a guy, let alone make friends with one."

"Ah, well, you know me," you replied with a shrug, trying to brush off the surprise in their reactions. "I guess I just found him interesting, that's all."

"Interesting, huh?" Minji teased, wiggling her eyebrows suggestively.

"Oh, come on, guys, it's not like that," you protested, feeling a flush creeping up your neck. "We just had a chat, that's all."

"Sure, sure," Haerin chimed in with a smirk. "But seriously, spill the tea. What's this guy like?"

"He's kind of... mysterious," you began, trying to find the right words to describe Y/N. "A bit aloof, but something is intriguing about him. Like he's got this whole hidden side that he's guarding fiercely."

"A mysterious guy, huh?" Hanni pondered, tapping her chin thoughtfully. "Sounds like the perfect challenge for you, Dani."

"Exactly!" you exclaimed, feeling a rush of excitement at the prospect of unraveling Y/N's layers. "And I'm up for the challenge."

"Well, I'm glad you found someone interesting," Minji said with a smile, patting your shoulder. "Who knows, maybe you'll uncover some hidden treasure beneath all that mystery."

"Yeah, maybe," you agreed, feeling a sense of anticipation building within you. "Either way, it'll be an adventure."

With each step, you felt a renewed sense of purpose, eager to see where this newfound friendship would take you. And as you walked alongside your friends, you knew that no matter what challenges lay ahead, you would face them together, with laughter, support, and plenty of popcorn.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~