Chapter 9: Entrance Exam II

There were three other people already here besides me. Erasure Head, Power Loader and the pink haired girl I ran into this morning. The first two were at the front of the room and the girl was waiting at her own station for the exam to start.

She was fidgeting with her hands and looking at every item around her workspace, so I assumed she was really excited to get to work. I was too but when I got to my workspace, I ran into a small problem. I was too short. I had the height of a nine year old and these benches were meant for fifteen year olds. Not exactly the best combination.

Guess I have to do it...

I sighed and made my way to the front of the room. I tapped on Erasure Head's shoulder and he turned around and looked down at me.

"What is it?"

Well, this conversation won't be awkward at all.

"U-um, I'm a bit too short for the benches."

His eyes went from me to the tables and he understood what I meant. Power Loader was the one who responded though.

"I've got a step-stool in the other room if you want."

"Y-yes please."

He left the room, leaving me with Erasure and the other examinee. Erasure looked like he was going to start speaking, but thankfully Power Loader came back into the room holding a wooden step-stool in his hand. He walked up to us and handed it to me.

"T-thank you, Power Loader-san."

"No problem."

He smiled at me and I went back to my workspace. Just like before, other examinees all filed in and went to their respective workstations. The exam started five minutes later with Power Loader explaining the rules. This room was a bit smaller and had less people, so he didn't need a microphone or anything to be heard.

"Alright, listen up! You have three hours to design and build your own support items! You must choose a hero you like and think carefully about how you could improve their costume, gear or add your own items! Please take into consideration durability, materials, function, looks and usefulness! You all have blueprint materials, tools and materials already at your stations but if you need something specific, feel free to ask me! Your time starts now!"

I quickly found some empty blueprints and a pencil and hopped up on my step-stool to put them on the bench. I heard the person next to me snicker, but I ignored them and got to work. The first thing I needed to do was choose a hero.

I picked Erasure Head for the written exam... Might as well stick with that theme.

I used what knowledge I already had on his quirk, fighting style and costume to think about what he could need. The biggest issue he had was dry eye, so I decided to work on that. I had two options: I could either make him some better quality eye-drops or a new pair of goggles. I chose the latter, seeing as he used those in combat more. I quickly designed something that fit his costume and thought of what I needed to make them.

The only problem with goggles was that his quirk could only filter through certain materials. Glass could work, but if they shattered the pieces would go into his eyes. Plastic was also too weak and anything clear negated the whole purpose of wearing goggles in the first place.
The only thing I could think of was the same material I used for my goggles since I could see but nobody could see my face. I couldn't remember what it was called, but I found a sheet of it in a cabinet.

The next thing I thought of was the frames. They needed to allow airflow and had tiny pumps in them to keep his eyes wet enough so he could blink less often, but not too wet incase he has to blink away the excess water. It was a difficult balance, and I needed a material that could house the tiny mechanics but was also really strong.I chose a special metal from a box that I also couldn't remember the name of but that didn't matter right now. Now, to assemble.