Chapter 11: New Friend

༻Time skip brought to you by Itadori annoying Sukuna by playing Baby Shark on loop༺

I woke up earlier than normal and got ready for school. I put on my uniform and made a feeble attempt to tame my hair as usual, and packed my school bag. I made sure I got up early so I could make a quick pit stop at the cafe to bake some pastries. I didn't want Mai to have to close more often just so I could go to school, so I made all of my usual foods before actually heading off to school.

I did my best effort to make sure nobody noticed me as I walked through the halls to get to class. I stepped through the massive door and smiled as I saw all of the equipment. There was a separate room for building things, but there was still plenty of stuff here. I quietly made my way to my desk that was unfortunately at the front of the class. Apparently, I was told to sit near the front since I was short and found it hard to see over people's heads.

Great.

Luckily, nobody spoke to me or took any notice of me as more people entered the room. The bell rang soon after and Power Loader walked into the room carrying a stack of papers.

"Good morning, students. My name is Majima, or Power Loader when I'm on the job, and I will be your homeroom and support class teacher."

"Good morning, Majima-sensei," the class called out.

"As you can see, I have a stack of papers here. I've decided that we're going to have an ice-breaker game to get to know each other before orientation and the welcome speech from Nezu."

I shrunk in my seat. I didn't want to do an ice-breaker game at all, seeing as my goal was to go unnoticed by other students.

"You will each get one sheet with sixteen boxes with different things in them and find someone who matches the box. For example, if the box says 'owns a dog', you have to find someone who owns a dog and get them to sign that square. The first person to fill every square wins. You may start when every paper has been handed out."

He then went row by row, handing papers to each student as he went. When they were all handed out, he called called out and the game started. I hopped off my seat and started looking for someone but they were all busy talking with someone. A girl with an orange pixie cut and blue eyes then walked up to me and bent down a little to reach my height. She held the paper up and pointed to it with a pen.

"Are you any of these?"

I looked at the paper before signing the 'Likes Sweets' box. I held up my own paper next.

"What about you?"

She signed the 'Born In Another Country' box and smiled at me before leaving. I looked around for another person and repeated this until Majima-sensei stopped the game.

"Subayai Taka has completed the sheet! The game is now over and you can put your papers on my desk before lining up outside in two straight lines, one girl line and one boy line."

We all did as he said and handed out sheets in before lining up outside. I chose to go to the back of the line. We all followed Majima-sensei to a large area outside filled with seats and a stage at the front. Each row of chairs had a little sign hanging off them with a different class on it, and we found 1-F and took our seats with the other classes. Principal Nezu walked on stage when everyone was seated and stood at a small podium.

"Welcome, first year students to UA high school! We hope you can all get the best education possible and become the best person you can be by the end of your stay here. Now, let us discuss policies, rules and expectations here at UA."

He then explained every rule and regulation and then went on to other important things. After an hour and a half, he called the assembly to a close and told the students to leave with their teachers, saying 1-A could leave first. However, class 1-A didn't seem to be present.

I wonder where they are... Isn't Erasure Head teaching that class?

The confusion didn't last long and Nezu simply called class 1-B to leave first instead. We waited until our class was called and left with Majima-sensei. We immediately got started with he orientation and he showed us all around the school. We made it back to the classroom about ten minutes before lunch and got to have free time chatting with everyone. I just stayed in my seat and tried to avoid people. That plan failed when the ginger girl from earlier walked up to me.

"Hi, I'm Takara Rui. What's your name?

"I-I'm Taiyo Izuku. Nice to meet you."

I stuck out my hand and she shook it while smiling at me.

"Well, Taiyo, do you want to sit together at lunch?

"Sure!"

The bell then rang and everyone left the room. I walked to the cafeteria with Takara and got in line with her. The cafeteria was packed. We dawdled a little, so a lot of people got there before us. When we finally got our food, it took a while to find a table with three empty seats. We had to rush to get there before those seats filled up, but we managed.

"Man, we probably should've gotten here earlier, huh."

"Yeah. I'm honestly not that much of a people person, so this is way too many."

She sighed and picked up her chopsticks.

"Same here. I can handle a few people, but this is just nuts."

We both said thanks for our food and dug in. I got katsudon with a little bowl of fruit and she got a bowl of soup and a plate of veggies. We both immediately paused at the first bite.

"Mmm, this is so good!" She cried.

"Yeah, I knew that we would have heroes as our teachers, but even the cook is a pro! I can't say that was a bad decision."

"I agree."

We chatted about other random topics while we ate until we came to my favourite topic: heroes.

"So, Taiyo. Who's your favourite hero?"

"Definitely Erasure Head."

"Who's that?" She asked.

"He's an underground hero. He's got a quirk that can erase other people's quirks and has a unique fighting style. He practically fights quirkless after evening the playing field."

"Huh, sounds cool. I wonder what kind of support items he could use."

"Do you remember those goggles I made for the entrance exam?"

"Oh yeah, the ones with the little pumps?"

"Yes. Those were actually made with him in mind. He has bad dry eye, so I thought it could help."

"Didn't you say he's an underground hero? Where did you get that information?"

"Well, I kind of have this hobby of analysing heroes and quirks I'm interested in. I've found plenty of ways to get information on different heroes because of that."

"Wow. Is that a quirk?"

"No." I replied.

"Still pretty cool though."

I was glad when she didn't ask what my quirk was and moved on to other topics. I had barely eaten anything by the time lunch ended, but we went back to class for math and after that we just went on with the rest of our day. I went back home feeling pleased with myself for making a new friend without making a fool of myself.

Life is good.

Notes

Hello. Takaya Rui is an original character of mine and isn't actually in MHA. I would've made Izuku friends with Hatsume, but they'll probably meet officially later. Anyway, base you next chapter!