Chapter 6: Snuck Up On

When my shift ended that day, I help pack away before going home as usual. On my way through, I felt somebody watching me. My instincts told me that going home was a bad idea, so I went to a nearby park and sat on a bench instead. It was a park that I used to go to with my friend, Kacchan, when I was around three or four. He was four years older than me, but we still played together and had fun. However, he quickly became a bully after I was announced quirkless. Him and his friends took entertainment from making me explode, trip, break small bones and other things. Their bullying only got worse until my dad died and my mother kicked me out. I found my abandoned apartment and have lived there ever since.

But my memories were soon interrupted by a sound behind me. It was quiet, but my sensitive ears picked it up. It sounded like very soft footsteps. It was definitely something a normal ten year old shouldn't be able to hear, but my mind was telling me something was off. They approached me from behind and when they got close enough I backflipped off the bench, kicking them in the back of the head as I did.

I stood up and looked at them only to see the worst person I could've done that to: Erasure Head.

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry!"

He got up and turned around to face me while rubbing the back of his head.

"No, it's fine. I shouldn't have snuck up on you like that."

"But still-"

"Kid, I'm fine."

He sighed before continuing.

"How did you even know I was there?"

"I have really sensitive hearing."

"Is that a quirk?"

I shook my head. He looked at me before sighing again.

"Come on. It's getting dark and I don't want you going home by yourself."

Why though? Do you think I'm dangerous or are you actually concerned for me? Probably the former, nobody other than Mai has ever been concerned for my wellbeing.

I nodded and let him lead the way to the cafe. I didn't trust myself to speak without fumbling over every word, so I was glad when he didn't try to start any conversation. When we got there, I pulled out my spare key and unlocked the door to go inside. We said our goodbyes before he left, but something told me he was still watching the building. I quickly locked up again before going to the back of the cafe. There was a back door that couldn't be seen from the outside at night since the alley behind the cafe was always too dark to see a single thing. Me wearing all black was a bonus.

I managed to get out without being noticed and took the darkest paths and alleys a could on my way home. Luck was on my side, since I didn't see or hear him anywhere near my home. I went inside and got to work on a school report that was due an hour ago and then checked some villains files. There was a group going around called the League of Villains, but I couldn't find anything on it's members. No code names, photos, backgrounds, anything. It was like a group existed but nobody was in it.

Strange.

It was getting late, so I geared up and grabbed my flash drives. It was a  Friday, and I always left my flash drives from the week at the police station on Fridays. So naturally, my first destination was the police station. The window to Detective Tsukauchi's office 'just so happened' to be open and the lights were off inside, so I climbed in through there and left seven cheap flash drives on his desk. I was about to leave when the lights turned on and the detective himself walked in with a cup of coffee.

"Good evening, Oleander."

"Good evening, detective."

"New files and information for me?"

"Always. They're on your desk."

"Thanks."

He walked over to the desk and looked at the flash drives, all sitting in a neat line.

"I would recommend checking number 7 first. There's a new villain group that seems suspicious."

"Got it."

With that, I saluted before jumping out the window and onto the next roof. I leapt from building to building, searching for anything that seemed a miss. To my surprise, I couldn't find anything. No drug deals, alcoholics, robberies, thieves, nothing. I would've been thankful for the break if it weren't for a certain underground hero following me. I paused on an empty rooftop and called out to him.

"You're pretty bad at hiding, Erasure Head."

He used his scarf to haul himself over the edge of the building before standing up and staring straight at me.

"How did you know it was me?"

"You're the only person I know that can walk that lightly. Although I was half-guessing."

He sighed and started to walk closer to me.

"I've been asked to arrest you, but from what I've heard you've done nothing illegal. I've never seen or heard of you using your quirk, so you're technically not even a vigilante."

"I can't tell weather I should be happy you're not chasing me, or sad I'm not even considered a real vigilante."

"Just pick happy, it's easier that way."

We ran out of words to say, so we just stood in silence for a while before I booked it. He chased after me, but knew this area like the back of my hand and I could lose any hero in under a minute. He didn't stand a chance. At around one, I called in for the night and went home. I still had to wake up at five to get to the cafe on time, and I needed those four hours of sleep after my day.

Notes

Hello, this chapter was meant to come out earlier in the day, but I got busy unexpectedly. Also, the break between terms is coming to an end and school is starting up again, so expect less chapters and more homework and sleep for me. Well, see you next chapter!