Chapter 12

NOLAN • POV

Maseo knew Reuben inside out and while I never once underestimated his deep understanding of his boy's needs, I was astonished at how well his suggestion to take Reuben to the trampoline park had played out. Reuben needed this. He needed to be able to let go, to just release all the pent up energy he had inside him, to lose himself to the excitement and fun of it all so that he could drop his defences at the end of the night and talk to me without being constantly on edge.

It was perfect.

The warehouse wasn't busy, it was late enough that we almost had the entire place to ourselves two hours before it was supposed to close. Aside from a sparse few teens, Reuben and I had free reign over the entire space, which was perfect because the only way I could describe Reuben was like a rocket. An extremely noisy, extremely giggly, extremely hyper rocket.

He was bouncing off the walls, literally.

The prehistoric dinosaur noises of absolute elation while he sprinted up and down, bounced as hard and high as he could, flipped into the foam pits and swung from the ceiling ropes, filled the entire warehouse and he wasn't even self conscious or embarrassed about it, which I absolutely adored. It was so darn entertaining to watch him let loose.

I chased him up and down while he screamed. He was fast, entirely too fast when he really got going and the springs didn't help, so I was only able to catch him when I successfully baited him close enough. I'd throw him in the foam pit, tackle him to the ground or let him simply ride around on my back before he got another burst of energy and bounced off again.

After an hour I was knackered, taking to sitting against a padded wall so that I could watch him blow off the rest of his steam. He was young and athletic and practically vibrating. He was also beautiful. There was just something about watching him, his slim, yet strong, leanly muscled body flexing and moving. His blue hair flopping up and down, giving him a whimsical, carefree appearance. His bright smile, his colourful tattoos warping with each jump.

Eventually he tired out too, and I had an armful of sweaty Reuben gushing in my lap. I held him tightly. He was panting, his face was red, but his eyes were so dreamy as he smiled. I wondered if he was in subspace, or a similar state of relaxation after the intense workout. I wouldn't be surprised that the same effects were being shown after a scene, as he was about to have an intense adrenaline drop.

Luckily for my boy, I came prepared with water, juice and some chocolate.

"I'm better than Indiana Jones. And also, I'm better than James Bond. And also, Spiderman can suck my dick, cause I can flip more than he can," Reuben sighed happily, slumped over in my arms. I laughed, kissing his sweaty pink face, then using a towel to wipe his damp forehead and brow bone.

"Let's get you cleaned up and ready to go. You must be hungry, Little One."

"Starved. I could eat a cow. An elephant. A dinosaur. You."

"I'm bigger than a dinosaur?

"Are you? Take off your pants."

"No."

"I call red, emotional damage."

"That's not how this works. Don't misuse your safety colours."

"Yes sir!" He saluted with a cheeky grin.

I nipped at his jaw and then stood, my arms full of Reuben who flopped against my shoulder, content to be carried around like a prince in his human carriage. Ignoring the confused stares we got from staff and the still playing teens, I carried Reuben into the changing rooms and set about cleaning us both to prepare for the rest of our evening.