Chapter 1

MASEO • POV

Nolan's large hand settled on my lower back as he held the swinging door to the bar open and urged me inside before him. I appreciated the comforting, almost protective way he held me there. His hand didn't move when we walked up to the bar, or when we ordered our drinks from the bubbly server. Infact, his warm, sturdy hand remained attached to my lower back all the way up until we were in our seats at a small, round table towards the back of the large, lively space.

I wasn't used to being chaperoned in such a way, although I was used to being the protector for Reuben, which was different. Nolan wasn't that much bigger than me, but I felt completely surrounded by him and his touch was like a reassuring, steady presence of his attention. He might not be talking to me or even looking at me, but with his hand glued to my lower back, he was always there and that was grounding.

Once we settled, our coats hanging off the backs of our chairs, our drinks in hand, Nolan finally turned to me with an expression that could only be described as amused-frustration. "I never thought I'd say this," he began, leaning in towards me so that he could be heard over the atmospheric chatter of the other bar patrons and the background music. "But I finally understand the anger Reuben felt towards Prescott that night at the club when he first attacked him."

I frowned, not quite understanding, thinking back to Reuben and Prescott's scrap, the thrown drinks, the shrill screaming and all the vicious biting. It was not a fond memory and immediately transformed my relaxed heartbeat with an anxious hurried one, as though I'd started an invisible jog. I resisted the urge I had to rub at the ache in my chest.

"What do you mean?" What had suddenly triggered those thoughts?

"I mean, ever since we've walked in here, there have been hungry eyes following you from the door, to the bar and even now as we sit. Reuben said Prescott was taunting him about wanting you, while you were together. You're here with me now, and strangers still think it's acceptable to stare. It's... provoking," he hummed, his easy tone underlyed with a sinister current I'd come to recognise from Nolan.

I hadn't noticed any staring, yet now that he'd brought attention to it, the back of my neck began to prickle self consciously. I resisted the urge I had to scan the bar for onlookers, half-embarrassed, half-intrigued. Instead, I focused on the handsome, put together man in front of me. He was... jealous?

Nolan was dressed formally in a dark blue shirt, the first few buttons left undone, exposing his broad chest and the dark hairs there. The shirt was rolled up at his sleeves, displaying his strong forearms and the black ink shaded in various values, covering the entirety of the right one. He'd swapped his glasses for contact lenses, his piercing blue eyes watching me without the glass barrier I'd become accustomed to.

Nolan's dark hair was artfully swept back off his face as usual and his short beard shadowed his well defined jaw and soft, pink lips. The longer I started, the more I seemed to notice how strikingly handsome he was. Nolan was sexy, and he knew that. I could tell by the way he carried himself with purpose, always standing tall, never shying away. That made his aura even more attractive if that was even possible.

"They're staring at you," I told him finally, shaking my head slowly. "Wondering if we're just friends before they make a move, I presume. But that doesn't matter," I continued, smiling at the grimace on his face, recognising the possessiveness he was displaying. "Like I told Reuben, you know I'm here with you, so you don't have to worry."

Nolan's grimace smoothed out into an easy smile and he held out his hand, allowing me to slip my own into his. After the night we'd finally cleared up the misgivings and lost communication between us all, deciding to try a polyamorous relationship, Nolan had become much more physical and intentional with his touch whenever we were together.