32. No PDA allowed

CARTER

🏀

ROBERT: We need to talk about that girl.

The man has a damn sixth sense when it comes to my happiness.

I don't have it all together. Not even close. My mom's still battling her illness, my dad's holding the deal over my head. My life's a mess. I fake it, put on a show. Having Addison, someone who understands my struggles? It doesn't fix a damn thing.

So why can't he let me have this?

Am I wrong here? Is this not about my mother? Does he think I'll lose focus, won't perform well? He can't be that dense. I'd never risk my mom's health for anything. But I don't care.

I shove my phone in my pocket and stride down the hallway toward Addison's class. It'll let out any minute. Did I tell her I'm picking her up? Nope. Will she be thrilled? Doubt it.

That's why I'm grinning as I lean against the wall by the door. She's going to be royally pissed. Makes it worth it. Most girls would swoon over their boyfriend picking them up like this, but—

Not Addie.

Especially not if the boyfriend is me.

I may not pull the boyfriend card often, but I know a thing or two about romance.

The sound of the door snaps me out of my thoughts, and I watch as the crowd begins to spill out. My eyes stay locked until I find her—Addie. She hasn't noticed me yet, which gives me the perfect opportunity.

I lean in, catching her arm to pull her close against me. She gasps, surprised, as I press her gently against the wall, lowering my lips to hers.

"Hey," I murmur when I finally pull back.

"What are you doing here?" Her eyes dart around, checking for prying eyes, and she tries to slip away.

"Can't a guy pick up his girlfriend from class?"

"EXCUSE ME?" Jenna shouts. "Girlfriend?!" Her exclamation draws attention.

Addison groans, burying her face against my chest. "See what you've done?" she mutters before stepping back. "Jenna, it's not what you think."

"Oh, it's exactly what you think," I tell Jenna with a smirk. "She's my girlfriend." Stepping away from Addison, I keep a hand on her hip and glance around at the surrounding crowd.

Addison's never treated me like the campus hotshot, so sometimes she forgets I can draw a crowd. "Addison Foster," I announce, raising my voice just enough for everyone to hear, "is my girlfriend. So back off."

The next thing I know, Addison grabs my hand and yanks me far away from the curious onlookers. Even with her back to me, I can sense the blush on her cheeks. I'm laughing, but she isn't.

"HAVE FUN LOVE BIRDS!" Jenna's voice echoes from behind us.

"I swear, I'm going to kill you," Addison mutters under her breath.

"It's just a label, Addie," I reply casually, shrugging. "I wanted to clear things up."

"You could have cleared things up without causing a scene!" Addison whirls around to scold me.

"You can't drop a bomb like that quietly."

"Why does there have to be a bomb at all? Can't we just... be together? Keep it low-key."

But I'm not ready to drop it just yet. "Why, so no one knows you're off the market?"

"Stop." She points a finger at me, attempting to look stern, but damn, she's adorable when she's annoyed. I can't resist. I take her hand, lifting it to my lips and playfully nibbling her finger.