Chapter 34

The next morning the boys were all out shooting in the front.

Missie and Billy had packed, not that they had much, but what they did have was ready to go.

Billy stood watching the men shoot as Missie watched from inside. The men hooting and hollering as they fired at the woodpile. Billy finally walked up and fired shot after shot, all the men quieting. Billy twirled his gun and set it in his holster.

"Nice shoot in' kid," one of the men said.

"Nice shootin, boy."

"That's all alright," Billy shrugged.

"How fast are you, kid?" Jesse asked.

Billy looked at him as Jesse made his way towards him, lifting his hand to his gun.

Billy walked a few paces away, hand on his gun, turning back to Jesse, ready and waiting.

The two stared at each other for a long moment, the tension heavy in the air.

Missie watched from the window, biting her cheek.

Finally they pulled their guns, Jesse beating Billy. Billy slowly put his gun away, staring at Jesse.

"You gotta get quicker on the draw, Billy... or you're a dead man," Jesse said, finally putting his gun away.

Billy nodded, heading indoors, not caring if the door slammed behind him.

Missie jumped at the door and turned her head towards him as he quickly wrapped his arm around her waist and pulled her into their bedroom, slamming the door behind them.

"What's going on with you and Jesse?" He asked.

Missie's mouth dropped open in shock at his accusation.

"Nothin'," she answered.

"Don't lie to me!"

"I'm not!"

Billy turned, running his hand through his hair. "I see the way he looks at you, at first I brushed it off to Jesse being Jesse with any woman. But that- what just happened, there's more going on."

Missie slowly bit her lip. "Billy I promise nothing happened with Jesse. He tried a couple times but I shot him down."

Billy turned to face her, studying her face. No woman rejected Jesse.

Billy sighed, glancing at the wall. Jesse always got what he wanted, until now. Now he didn't know how to handle his pride and jealousy. He almost shot Billy because of it.

Missie slowly sat on the bed. "Say something," she whispered.

Billy turned back to her, her hands smoothing her skirt out anxiously. She'd seen Billy mad before, but never at her.

He quickly softened when he saw her nervousness. He wasn't mad at her, he was mad at Jesse.

He quickly knelt down in front of her, taking her hands.

"Why didn't you tell me?" He asked gently.

Missie shrugged, tears threatening to escape. "Because he's your friend, and he was drunk the one night."

"Did he hurt you?" He asked, running his fingers through her hair, cupping her face gently.

Missie quickly shook her head and explained the two times he made advances on her.

"You pulled a gun on Jesse?" Billy asked, surprised.

"Yes- I wouldn't have shot him-"

Billy suppressed a smile, no wonder Jesse was so bent out of shape.

"I think it's best if we leave now," he said.

Missie didn't argue as Billy got the horse ready. She met outside by the horse and handed him one last item.

He took it, gently caressing her cheek with his knuckle. He tied it to the horse and then turned back to her, hugging her.

"We're going to be just fine, we'll find a place soon."

"It's not that I'm worried about," Missie whispered. "Are you mad at me?"

"Never," Billy promised, kissing her cheek. "Are you kidding? You pulled a gun on Jesse," he smiled. "I wish I had seen his face. Just remind me not to make you angry."

Missie softly laughed, pushing his shoulder playfully.

He then helped her mount the horse, following behind her. He slowly wrapped his arms under hers, taking the reins.

"Just let me know when you need a break," he told her as the two started their new journey together.