- Chapter 3 -

I watched as the children ran around me and played. I was sitting in the small courtyard on a wooden bench. The courtyard had concrete floors and it was surrounded by the tall walls of the orphanage.

The children ran and played happily with their friends. As I watched I wondered if I would make any friends here. I brushed a leaf off of the filthy dress that I had put on. I played with my venetian glass necklace as I sat in silence.

I was devastated that all of my expensive clothes were going to be sold, but part of me thought that I would make more friends if I looked like everyone else. I was glad I at least got to keep my necklace.

I was so lost in thought that I failed to notice someone sat down next to me. "What are you thinking about?" Gregory said. I looked at him. "I'm wondering if I'll make any friends here," I said, turning back to look at the children.

"I could be your friend," he said, following my gaze. I looked at him and for the first time I noticed his stunning features. His brown, curly hair hung slightly over his eyes and he had to keep pushing it away.

His green eyes sparkled in the sunlight, looking like emeralds. His eyebrows raised and arched, and his jawline sharp. He was gorgeous. "I would like that," I said, snapping out of the trance his beauty had put me in.

"There is absolutely no way I am eating this!" I said, as I sat down at the lunch table with Gregory. "It really isn't that bad. You just have to get past the texture" I stared at the blob of what was supposed to be my lunch.

Gregory laughed. "Just try it!" he said, pushing the bowl in my direction. I laughed, too. "And risk getting food poisoning? No way!" I pushed the bowl back and we both laughed.

His laugh was beautiful. It was like a wonderful melody. I had never felt the way I did in these moments when Gregory laughed, or he sat in the sunlight just right so his eyes shimmered and danced. I didn't know what was happening to me.

I remember seeing Prince Charming for the first time. We were in the town square when the prince and the grand duke stood in front of their carriage.

"There will be a ball tonight at the castle. All ladies in the kingdom are invited, and one of you may become the queen!" the grand duke shouted for the whole square to hear. My mother's mouth dropped open, and Drizella almost passed out.

I watched with confusion as the ladies in the square squealed and talked about how handsome the prince was. I stared at him and thought about how he was very handsome, but I wasn't in love with him.

Every time I saw the prince my knees would go weak. I thought I was in love, but I didn't know what love was. When Ella married the prince, I thought I would never find love again.

That night at the ball I danced with him. Seeing him up close was wonderful. His brown eyes were beautiful. But it was only now, when I was sitting on the roof of the orphanage feeling the cool night air that I realized I was not in love with the prince.

When I danced with him, I thought I was in love. I thought he would marry me and we would be happy. But now I realize his brown eyes never met mine. They always stared at the beauty in the blue gown.

I shivered in the cool night air. Gregory put his jacket around my shoulders. "I don't want you to be cold," I said, trying to give him his jacket back, but he simply shook his head.

"I'm fine," His green eyes locked with mine and I realized what was going on. I realized why every time he smiled my stomach did a flip. I realized why every time he laughed I couldn't help but smile.

I realized why every time his green eyes sparkled I was put in a trance. I was falling. I wasn't falling off of the roof. I wasn't falling into a lake. I wasn't falling down the stairs. I was falling in love.