- chapter eleven

TURNING PAGE !

— "HE FINALLY TOLD YOU?" Jacob held a smile on his face as he looked over at the girl who was lying comfortably on his bed

— "HE FINALLY TOLD YOU?" Jacob held a smile on his face as he looked over at the girl who was lying comfortably on his bed. "What'd you say?" Brooke only shoved her head into the pillow beside her, letting out a loud groan.

"I accepted it. This 'imprint' thing is basically my life now, right? The fates chose me?" Brooke had heard the stories as a child.

She remembered the times she spent in the Black Residence. Billy telling them the legends as they grew older, something that had become so common for them.

Rachel and Rebecca would sit side by side on the sofa while Jacob and Brooke would lie on the ground, each of them listening intently to Billy speak, as Sarah made dinner in the kitchen.

"Essentially, yes." Jacob responded.

"I always thought those were just stories, when Uncle B would tell us the stories every time i slept over. Remember?" Her head lulled to the side, looking over at the boy who sat on the ground.

"How could I not? You would always hog the blanket, scared the cold one would come for your toes." He snorted loudly, the image of a tiny Broole curled into his side in fear, her feet covered by the blanket because she was afraid of letting them out.

"And I had reason! Look at us now! I'm—I'm and imprint! A—And you turn into a giant dog!" She scooted over as Jacob stood to join her on the bed.

"I've missed this." She sighed comfortably, as Jacob settled into the space beside her. "You think this whole redhead situation could get bad?" Her voice was soft.

"It could. But we'll keep you safe, Penny. You and Bella." He assured her, not even wanting to imagine the thought of the girl he viewed as family getting hurt.

"Night Jake." She turned the opposite way, her eyes closing as she tried to drift away into her dreams.

"G'night, Penny."

It was on very few occasions that Billy let Brooke skip school, but seeing as she was only going to be at Jacob's house, he didn't really mind.

Brooke had gone out to grab some pizza per Jake's request. Unknown to her, in the time she had gone, Bella had shown up.

The younger twin pulled up to the small home, her eyebrows furrowing when she noticed her sister's familiar red truck parked there.

"Uncle B? Where's Jake?" Brooke walked into the home, setting the pizza box down in the kitchen. Billy wheeled in from the living room. "Your sister stopped by. My guess is he's with her."