- chapter seven

TURNING PAGE !

— "TOTALLY SHREDDED

— "TOTALLY SHREDDED." Jared lifted up Jacob's torn shoe. "Billy said this was the last pair he could afford—guess Jacob's going barefoot now."

"This one survived." Embry held up the other. "Jake can hop." He added with a laugh. "I'll get him another pair. Early birthday present or something." Brooke joked along.

"Get Sam's shoes, will you? All the rest is headed for the trash." Jared told Embry who simply nodded and grabbed the shoes. Jared finally acknowledged that Bella was even there. "Hey, you're not gonna faint or puke or anything?" He asked pretty uneasy.

"I don't think so." Bella muttered.

"You don't look so good, Bells. You should sit." Brooke told her sister softly. Bella nodded and sat on the grass putting her head between her legs.

"Jake should've warned us." Embry complained.

"He shouldn't have brought his girlfriend into this. What did he expect?" Jared told Embry. "Way to go, Jake." Embry said unenthusiastically.

"Aren't you guys worried about them?" Bella picked up her head. "Worried? Why?" Embry blinked, making eye contact with Brooke who just shrugged.

"They could hurt each other!"

Embry and Jared let out a loud laugh causing Brooke to hit them both. "Shut up."

"I hope Paul gets him." Jared said. "Teach him a lesson."

"Yeah, right!" Embry shook his head in disagreement. "Did you see Jake? He phased on the fly! Paul was losing it, it only took him like half a second to attack! He's got a gift."

"Paul's been fighting longer. Ten bucks he leaves a mark."

"You're on. Jake's a natural. Paul doesn't have a prayer." They shook hands, both grinning. "Are you knuckleheads seriously betting on this right now?" Brooke asked.

"No!" They both answered, shaking their heads simultaneously.

"Let's head to Emily's. I'm starving." Embry said before looking down at Bella. "Mind giving us a ride?" Bella shook her head. "No problem."

"Maybe you should drive, Embry. She still looks like she could puke." Jared raised an eyebrow.

"Good idea. Where are the keys?" Embry asked her. "Ignition." He nodded before helping her up and to the truck, helping her into the passenger seat.