- chapter six

TURNING PAGE !

— JACOB finally arrived, making his way toward the twins who sat side by side on the sand

— JACOB finally arrived, making his way toward the twins who sat side by side on the sand. "Hi Bella." He greeted first causing Brooke to roll her eyes. "I'm here too. Your best friend, best buddy, remember me?" Brooke spoke up sarcastically.

"I'm sorry, who are you?" Jacob teased and Brooke tripped him as he stood beside her, causing him to fall and land beside her letting out a groan. "That's what I thought." She smiled in triumph. Bella watching them with the smallest of smiles of her face.

"Billy told me you came by—didn't take you very long, did it? I knew you could figure it out."

"Yeah, I remember the right story now." Bella whispered as Brooke made a noise of confusion. "I—I don't. What story are we talking about?"

She looked at Jacob, trying to read him before doing the same to her twin. The cogs in her head turning as she stared, neither Bella nor Jake spoke.

"You could have just called." Jacob said harshly.

"I know." Her twin nodded.

"Why did you come?" He stood, beginning to pace. Bella following soon after, leaving Brooke sitting. "God, I hate when you do that. It stresses me out." Brooke whispered shaking her head.

"I thought it would be better face to face." Bella responded.

"Oh, much better." He snorted.

"Jacob, I have to warn you—" "About the rangers and the hunters? Don't worry about it. We already know." He interrupted her.

"Oh. That's what they were talking about." Brooke thought. She'd done a pretty good job at keeping their secret. Such a good job that even Jacob didn't know that she had found out.

"Don't worry about it?" Bella's voice broke Brooke out of her thoughts. "Jake, they've got guns! They're setting traps and offering rewards and—"

"We can take care of ourselves." He growled, still pacing which was making Brooke's head hurt. Would it kill him to stand still? "They're not going to catch anything. They're only making it more difficult—they'll start disappearing soon enough, too."

"Jake!" Bella hissed.

"What? It's just a fact."

"How can you...feel that way? You know these people. Charlie's out there!" Bella's words made Brooke's stomach twist at the thought of her father out in the woods searching for something he wouldn't find. The thought of him in danger.

"What more can we do?" He hissed and Brooke glared at him. "Be more sympathetic, Dickwad." If looks could kill, Jacob would be six feet under.

"Could you...well, try to not be a...werewolf?" Bella suggested. Her sister snorted from behind her, wondering why she would ask a question that... stupid.