Ch 39

"Robin..." His demeaning tone causes my blood to boil further.

My chartreuse eyes lock with his scarlet ones. He quickly realized I was not joking and fear flashed in his ruby orbs. "Let them go or we all lose."

Sweat beaded on his brow, but he looked genuinely confused with my logic. "I don't think killing yourself will resolve anything. It only secures their death and I'll find a new wife."

"You haven't done your homework have you? For once I know more than you, this is a pleasant change." I give a small smile. "When Pandoras die, all of that power has to go somewhere. All of that power, you wanted it all, but it will cut through you. You would simply be disintegrated, to put it nicely."

Whatever fear I had caused him was gone. "It would appear I'm at a disadvantage."

"Let them go, both of them. If you haven't noticed what's going on up there, you're losing. Those who haven't surrendered have been put out of their misery." I announce to him and wait for the information to sink in.

"They were all mindless followers anyway." He scoffed and leaned against the stone archway.

"Even Lydia?" I raise an eyebrow.

"No, she blindly hates me. She does mindlessly follow you though." He mussed his crimson hair and sighed. His soulless eyes held mine as my grip on the blade tightened.

"If you kill yourself you risk their lives," Ashton stated arrogantly. "Your plan has a flaw."

I stare right back, trying not to flinch at the harshness in his features. "They have souls. Now let them go!"

"No, I'll die anyway. So what's the point?" He shrugs and asks rhetorically.

He lunged at me with his vampire speed. My protection mark burned as he was flung to the right and into the stone wall. Why he would attack me, I have no idea. If he kills me he'll die.

"Killing me does nothing for you." I glare at the fire wilding idiot.

"I'm trying to kill them, but you were in the way." he growls and leaps again, faster than the last time.

He charges right at me, I can only glimpse the fire licking at his fingers. He let an inhuman growl rip through the air as he was repulsed into the walls again. My mark is burning, I have limited energy for a few more minutes. If I can hold him off for just five minutes, maybe even two. He seemed to sense my pain and troubles. A menacing grin slithered into his face.

He clapped his hands and I was engulfed in an inferno. I threw up my shield too late. Ashe's jacket really was fireproof, I just wish it wasn't out to the test. My hair was singed, but the shield kept the inferno raging outside and away from me. Then I saw the soulless, clingy, idiotic, evil vampire walk through the flames. He stopped when he reached my protective barrier. He lifted the blade. I remember the blade well, the gold curved like a flame, wicked and evil. I gave it to him when he was the top of his class at the academy.

He raised it and set the point on the barrier. He put all of his strength into driving that blade through the shield.

Horror spread through me like poison as it started to work. Blistering heat flew in as the dagger shattered my shield. The golden flames licked at my jacket clad arm harmlessly.

Ashton stood inches from me. "I won't kill you, and you won't kill yourself. You couldn't live with yourself if an innocent was harmed."

"I couldn't live with myself if they died because of something stupid, or at the hands of the epitome of stalker boyfriends. Especially if the threat if because of me." I retort and take a step back so that I over the cage. Im wishing, hoping, willing myself to focus all of my energy again. But there was nothing.