Talk

Chapter 20

April's POV

I entered my apartment and ran my hands through my hair, frustrated. I quickly freshened up and as I was eating, I suddenly felt quite overwhelmed. How could he do this to me? I didn't even want to bump into Lucas right now. I didn't even care how late it was. I took a cab to Hazel's. She opened the door and shot me a confused look.

"April, do you realize how late it is?" she asked, in a sleepy voice.

"I just needed to get away from....." I trailed off.

She noticed that I wasn't okay so she invited me in.
"Just sleep. We'll talk in the morning." she said.

My first serious fight with Lucas and it didn't feel good at all. Worst of all, I ran away from it. In the morning, I woke up early to prepare breakfast for Hazel and myself.

"What's up with you?" Hazel asked.

"I had a fight with Lucas." I said.

"Okay, what happened?"

"I told him about the decorating thing, how serious I am about it, and the training. The problem was that he wanted me to stay for two more weeks at Lucetta before leaving but I wanted to stay for a few days just to wrap things up." I explained.

"What's the rush? Why won't you complete the two weeks anyway?" she questioned.

I let out a breath in disbelief."I can't believe you're taking his side and also, before you know it, the two weeks can turn into two months. You know how sensitive I am about my progress. I..." I choked up.

"I'm not taking sides, bae. Come here." she pulled me in for a hug, "I'm not taking anyone's side but unfortunately, I don't even know that to advise you to do." she said

"Oh I know what I'll do. I will be stubborn and go to work for a few days. I have to stand my ground. "

"Are you sure?" she asked.

"Yeah I guess." I shrugged.

I went to work that day and walked into Lucas' office to hand in my resignation letter.
"We need to talk." he held my hand and looked straight at me.

I felt a pit in my stomach as I pushed his hand away."I don't want to." I spoke softly.

"You can ignore this, but it still exists." he said.

"Oh I'm sorry, boss. Let's talk." I huffed.

"Not like this, April. I just want to tell you that I want the best for you."

"Well, thank you so much," I said sarcastically, "but that doesn't mean that you know what's best for me."

The next two days were the worst. He tried to reach out to me, I know he did, but I couldn't resolve this with him. I was hurt. I stayed at my apartment so Hazel would have her privacy but that just resulted in me awkwardly bumping into Lucas. I finally packed my things on my last day and some of my colleagues came to say goodbye.

Lucas' POV

I lay on the bed, one leg over the other. She wasn't listening to me, so I gave her time.

I just got back from hanging out with Matt's house and it was already pretty late. My phone suddenly rang and it was an unknown number.

"Hello?"

The person on the other end of the phone just kept panting.

"Hello? Who is this? Are you okay?" I asked.

"It's Macey." she said, still panting.

"Macey, are you okay?"

"Yeah but, I'm kind of in labour." she said, "My mum and brother are here, my husband is on his way but we can't reach April. I need her here." she added.

"Where are you?"

"Oregon University Hospital." she replied.

"Don't worry, April and I will be there soon." I said.

"Oh, just hurry."

I went over to her apartment but she wasn't there. I called her but no answer. I called Hazel too but she had no idea where April was.

I walked around for about an hour and sat down, my elbows rested on my lap, hand pushing my hair back as I looked down for a bit. I needed to find her so she could be there for Macey.

"Lul-...Lucas?" I heard a voice. April's voice.

"I thought I was Lulu." I whispered.

"What?" she asked.

"Macey's in labour but she couldn't reach you." I said.

"Oh my God, my phone's dead. I..." she seemed to panic.

"It's okay. Let's just hurry there."

She basically ran to my car and soon, we made it to the hospital. She frantically rushed in, looking for Macey.

"Thank God, you're here. She's six centimetres dilated, I think, but Colin is already here though." Ethan got up from his seat.

April went in to see her immediately.

Hmmm...what do you think the gender of the baby will be?
By the way, I decided not to write an epilogue for the story.
Happy reading!